Bluescreen Blues

edited April 2008 in Hardware
Hey Icrontic Forum Members,

Im new to the forum and i wanted to ask about a problem i have with my computer. I saw that someone also had a similar to me, so i thought this would be a good place to ask this.

Ever since a few months ago, my Windows XP pc has become quite unstable with a few various things. The main problem is that when i do a number of actions, i get a blue screen if i do that certain action.

I know this isnt a software fault because i have re-installed windows a number of times (unrelated to this problem), and the problem was still happening, its just it is happening more frequently that it is a big nuisance)

To get this blue screen, i either have to use itunes, plug in my ipod with itunes, or anything to do wtih itunes, it blue screens. Also when i click "show desktop" sometimes aswell as a few internet pages.

I looked around and saw what sort of information is needed to fix this problem, so ive taken the text from various blue screens and written them down, here they are: (I will only write the parts that change)

1st iTunes bluescreen message:

Stop : 0X0000008E (0X0000005, 0XBF814822, 0XB5BA4AA0, 0X00000000)

Win32k.sys - Address BF814822 Base at BF800000, Datestamp 45f013f6

2nd iTunes bluescreen message:

(At Top)
Problem is "Driver_IRQL_not_less_or_equal"

Stop : 0X0000000D1 (0X08c16bd4, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xB8D1513F)

TCPIP.SYS - address B8D1513F Base at B8D08000

Firefox Bluescreen

(At top) Problem : Page_Fault_in_nonpaged_area
"The problem seems to be caused by the following file : win 32k.sys"

Stop : 0X00000050 (0XFFFFFFF6, 0X00000000, 0XBF807337, 0X00000000)

Win32k.sys - Address BF807337 Base at BF800000

Edit: Just remember, i have put in two new sticks of 1GB RAM into my pc, if that could be a problem)

If theres any other information that would ehlp solving this problem, please ask

Thanks alot for any future help!

Tom

Comments

• Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Hello Raiden,

Those look to me to be windows system files. Your hand drive may be screwed. Have you defragged recently or did a complete system restore? Try defragging and see if that fixes it.

does the hard drive make clicky noises? is it a laptop?
  • edited April 2008
    It is a normal tower pc with two 500gb WD disks,

i will defrag it while im busy today, and the hard drive does make some noise, but i dont know whether thats a normal sound or a bad sound

thanks alot
  • edited April 2008
    I have defragmented it, and i am still getting the bluescreen problem...

Any other advice..?
    edited April 2008
    is it clicking? if its clicking, BACK UP YOUR HDD AND POWER OFF AND GET A NEW HDD! the read/write head is smacking against the platter in the hdd and scratching it, damaging it irreversably. Back it up before you loose any more data.
  • edited April 2008
    it isnt really clicking...

one of my firneds says its messing up because ive just installed new "generic" memory instead of the usual "kingston". he said it is slow and ill have to change the "access" time to slower.

is the right? how would i do it?
  • edited April 2008
    If you feel like it is memory related, you should search the web for "Windows Memory Diagnostic" which is a freebie from Microsoft. Follow it's instructions and run the tests - it will let you know if your memory is really the source of your woes.
  • edited April 2008
    I have done that twice, and no error!

Does this seem pretty hopeless?
  • edited April 2008
    No, not really hopeless at all. You've probably eliminated the memory as a problem, so you have that behind you.

itunes attempts to use your USB sub-system to communicate with your ipod. If it were me, I would probably....

Right-click MY COMPUTER and select properties
    Click on the HARDWARE tab and then on DEVICE MANAGER.
    Expand the UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS CONTROLLERS item and delete everything there.
    Reboot. Windows should rediscover and reinstall all of your USB ports.
    Now see if itunes will work.

Hopefully this will help.

edited April 2008
    I dont think its a hub issue, m8. go ahead over to the spyware section and download hijackthis and post a log here, it may give us some clues on what the problem is.

Go head and do what top suggested first. if that fixes it your fine =)

is this media center edition XP? i have lots of problems with MCE and itunes.
  • edited April 2008
    Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 02:39:44, on 16/04/2008
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrB.exe
    C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared files\RichVideo.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindServiceAE.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
    C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\FxSvr2.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
    E:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {24E9519B-3F70-429B-99BC-4B2B49B96F66} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\cbXOEtTK.dll (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {413F5CCC-BEEB-48CD-B84A-F08D6E3E50EA} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\byXOfdAP.dll (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O2 - BHO: Catcher Class - {ADECBED6-0366-4377-A739-E69DFBA04663} - C:\Program Files\Moyea\FLV Downloader\MoyeaCth.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMSX] C:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoRepair] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ISStart.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoTray] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LanguageShortcut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\Language\Language.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LogitechSoftwareUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ManifestEngine.exe" boot
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [uTorrent] "E:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe"
    O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsnsp.dll
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
    O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\WINDOW~4\MESSEN~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
    O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\WINDOW~4\MESSEN~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: cbXOEtTK - cbXOEtTK.dll (file missing)
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
    O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: PnkBstrA - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
    O23 - Service: PnkBstrB - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrB.exe
    O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared files\RichVideo.exe
    O23 - Service: SF FrontLine Drivers Auto Removal (v1) (sfrem01) - Protection Technology (StarForce) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\sfrem01.exe
    O23 - Service: StarWind AE Service (StarWindServiceAE) - Rocket Division Software - C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindServiceAE.exe
    O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

Heres the Hijack this file that i got

I tried to uninstall the USB stuff, i did it, but it's still happening...
    edited April 2008
    I think that the dard drive is in fact damaged. If I were you, your all of the system files and everything important on your C drive and put it on your E drive and get yourself a new HDD.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited April 2008
    You can test the hard drive with the Drive Fitness Test (DFT). Don't worry if it isn't a Hitachi- it works on many drives. Here is a Guide to help.

Also, you may want to try Memtest as well.
    edited April 2008
    working fine for you?
  • edited April 2008
    I did the hard drive test..

And it came out with no problem..

I also did the memory test, and no fault!

My father mentioned about RAM "access" time. I latly updated my ram from a 512 Kingston to 2 x 1GB generic memory. He said that the generic memory may be slower, how would i change this access time?

If that doesnt work my plans are to

1. Repair Windows
    then 2. Backup Hard-drive to a spare 500gb hard drive and see if that works
    then 3. I dont really know after that....

Thank you all for you help so far!! =)

Note:
    My C: and D: are one drive (partitioned)
    and my E: F: and G: are on the other one..
    (just to say)
    edited April 2008
    the only thing i can think of with ram is if the BIOS dont recognize your new RAM and are using it like your Kingston, trying to make the RAM's access time the same as the Kingston's...I dont see why that would cause a BSOD, though. may want to check your CMOS settings to see if the ram is configured correctly.

Question: Why would you partition one drive twice and another drive 3 times?
  • edited April 2008
    How would i do that in CMOS?

and i partitioned my old drive into 3 for System, Documents and music and Video Editing. My new one is just now System and Content.
    edited April 2008
    Look to see wether or not its seeing the RAM as generic or Kingston in the CMOS setting, i would think
    edited April 2008
    How to check your RAM BIOS settings should be in your motherboard manual-

Regardless, give us your machine specs ... what kind of motherboard, CPU, WHOSE generic memory with model & rating, PSU model & rating, video card brand & model, hard drives, opticals, etc.
  • edited April 2008
    I think the problem has been solved!

My Father and I after a while recognised the the error "page error in non paged area" and related it to the vitual memory. We replaced the generic memory with a spare 512 (C.. something) stick, and its working perfectly so far!

Thank you all for the help youve given me!
    edited April 2008
    I'm glad you got it solved. I was going to suggest trying your Kingstons again, but wanted to also be able to check your load against your power supply- then your memory.

Case in point: I did get a couple of "generic" memory modules from Fry's Electronics (an outfit I shutter to recommend as it is) and both crapped out. It was a lesson to me to cross check brand name memory compatibility with the motherboard manufacturer first and go ahead and pay the extra money for it (mobo manufacturers do not generally check out knock-off memory). You know you've got a great shot if the memory manufacturer also qualifies the motherboard.

Hope that helps next time :) .