queston about laptops

DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
edited April 2008 in Hardware
What I want to know is if I'm going to run the laptop off the
a/c should I take out the battery?
I mean I don't want to over charge the battery.
Or does it matter?

Comments

• MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited April 2008
    DogDragon wrote:
    What I want to know is if I'm going to run the laptop off the
    a/c should I take out the battery?
    Or does it matter?
    I leave the battery in and run on a/c all the time. It's probably a good idea to unplug the a/c and let the battery run down once in awhile though.
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    MrBill wrote:
    I leave the battery in and run on a/c all the time. It's probably a good idea to unplug the a/c and let the battery run down once in awhile though.

Thanks Mr.Bill
    I wasn't sure and didn't want to hurt the battery.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2008
    Laptop batteries are designed to be left in the laptop the laptops it's safe, they won't over charge. But it is a good idea to run the battery dead from time to time to help with it's memory.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    If you are going to run the laptop on A/C for months at a time without using it on battery you should keep the battery in the freezer, otherwise don't worry about it. Current gen Li-ion batteries are pretty resilient. Just try to avoid extended periods of high heat and complete discharges.
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited April 2008
    One more item to note:

Even today's batteries start to lose their ability to hold a charge in time (usually 2 years = you start to really notice). Granted, part of this is how many times it discharges/recharges, but I believe it's also a result of how long the chemicals can/will generaly maintain their ability hold the charge. I'm sure there's more scientific explanations available, but my experience is that even occassionally used batteries start to exhibit a faster discharge after a couple years. Batteries do have a shelf life.

So you won't get forever out of your battery no matter what you do. Just use the laptop and expect the battery to die after a couple years.
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited April 2008
    DogDragon wrote:
    Or does it matter?

It doesn't matter, the laptop 'gives up' once the battery reaches 100%. The battery is starting to fail if it discharges after reaching 100%. That's one sign it will need to be replaced soon. So unless you're seeing the battery charge light coming on/off every few minutes you're fine.
  • edited April 2008
    I've got a Dell XPS Gen 2, and the battery that came with it got caught up in that recall a couple years ago. I sent it back and got a new one, and within a few months (that's right, not years, months), the new one quit holding a charge at all. I'd leave the battery connected while running the system on AC power, and now it's completely worthless. I didn't let it discharge or anything, though. I didn't know about it until I went on vacation and the battery would only last long enough to boot into Windows before being fully discharged.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Tansunn wrote:
    I've got a Dell XPS Gen 2, and the battery that came with it got caught up in that recall a couple years ago. I sent it back and got a new one, and within a few months (that's right, not years, months), the new one quit holding a charge at all. I'd leave the battery connected while running the system on AC power, and now it's completely worthless. I didn't let it discharge or anything, though. I didn't know about it until I went on vacation and the battery would only last long enough to boot into Windows before being fully discharged.

Get on the phone with Dell and explain to them the situation. The first person you talk to will probably have been trained to say no, but if you are patient and persistent I bet you will be taken care of.

EDIT: just re-read your post. If your battery was replaced YEARS ago they will probably not help you, sorry.

And in the future, keep you Li-Ion batteries in the freezer if they are not going to be used.