P5K-E problems

GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 LifeAkron, PA Icrontian
edited April 2008 in Hardware
My info on the rig is in my sig, ( omg that rhymed! )

Anywho the problem arose last night after I installed a razer barracuda sound card.I plugged it in and got a FLASH of power then nothing had a hell of a time getting it to start and only way i could get it to boot was to pull the card. So i switched the card to a diff pci slot and it booted. NOW the red light next to the 1st pci slot I tried is on ONLY when the pc is OFF when i turn it on and boot its off. Now the problem is i cat leave the sound card in that pci slot that works because it blocks the air flow in to the vid card and my temps sky rocket. Is there a way to test the PCI slot to see if it went poof or did someone have this problem. I am up and running but I am back to onboard sound for now.

Comments

• stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited April 2008
    The 9600gt is a single slot?

I ask about it only because your main isue with not using the working pci slot is because it suffocates the video card... if it's a dual slot cooler then that is not likely to be a large enough factor from what I've seen. My 3870 is a centimeter from the top of my sound card but is doing okay cooling. There's enough flow in that gap all around the intake on the gpu cooler that no video card cooler I know of needs anything more.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Yea i thought of taking the after market cooler off and putting hte single slot stock one on. I might do that
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    You could try putting an older card in, if you still have the 7900GT but I have a feeling you flogged it :tongue: