How to overclock a laptop?

halo2_godhalo2_god New York state
edited April 2008 in Hardware
Hey, i want to know how to over clock my hp laptop model pavilion zv5000. And how much i could over clock it??? What i did right now was increase my virtual memory file (paging file) and i downloaded a program called winmem optimizer. it runs in the task tray and every so often it clears out the ram, paging file. and system index. Here is a picture of the program.

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Overclocking laptops isn't recommended. In fact, it's usually impossible. Laptops don't usually have the cooling capacity to support an overclocked processor, nor do they have the bios options necessary to garner more speed from the processor. What you are doing isn't overclocking, it's system optimization.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2008
    That program will probably just slow you down.

If you want fast performance, get a desktop or bend over for a performance based laptop with a battery life of like 5 min.

Use the system for what its made for. Laptops arent about performance, they are for portability.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited April 2008
    I think the only thing you could do is upgrade the processor. The biggest bottlenecks in a system is the hardrive. Most Laptops have 5400rpm drives so if you upgrade to a 7200rpm one you'll see a big boost there.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I don't know this program specifically but it won't over clock your processor, it'll just clear you memory and page file. I've read on ways for the Pentium M for example to wrap a wire around some of the pins on the processor to over clock it but that is for certain specific type of processors. You'll have to look around.

But yeah, laptops are meant to be "as is". Try an upgrade if possible.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited April 2008
    Laptops normally do not have BIOS options for overclocking. The issues are what you'd expect: Heating and power load.

You might be able to overclock your laptop with ClockGen. It's a matter of whether your laptop mainboard is supported. However, from what I've read, overclocks of more than 10 percent are not usually doable because of sytem board limitations, CPU overheat and/or the load is too much for the power system.

Frankly, IMO, overclocking on an LT is doable but not really worth it. Someone has already mentioned that an upgrade is a possibility, but that can be pretty pricey even with a single step up in CPU speed. If you are fortunate enough to have a laptop with a Merom (T7x00- which the zv5000 does not have) in it and the right system board, you may get a big bang out of going for a Penryn drop-in replacement. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.