GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz QueenMountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
edited May 2008 in Hardware

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2008
    Someones going to get sued out of existence for violating the DMCA. :o
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2008
    It's kinda old news at the moment, apple is wanting to shut them down and they are willing to sue apple saying that their EULA is unlawful and that they are creating a monopoly, plus ripping off consumers on outrageous hardware markup.

What's interesting is that they aren't selling an Openmac as the article claims. It's just a PC spec'd as close to a mac as possible then pre-installed with all the req'd hacks to get around the EFI needs.

Overall I think it's cool that they are putting it out there. But I don't see much of a market for it, beyond the gimmick crowd and those that will be duped into thinking they have a cheap mac.

The problem is that for those thinking they are getting a real working mac will likely be pissed off to begin with when the next update breaks their OS. Even if they are told, when purchasing that an OS update could break their install they won't understand what they are being told and will cry foul. They'll think Apple is to blame, the Vendor in this case has no recourse they need to follow. It could lead to problems.

There may come a time when Apple release it's OS as an open market, but I don't think that market will arrive until EFI becomes the new standard across the board for *nix and windows.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    It's kinda old news at the moment,

I guess I am slow.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I wanna know what hardware they're using.
    edited April 2008
    Don't know the exact models but it's just off the shelf standard PC hardware. Though they are using as much integrated hardware as possible. They do have the spec's out though if you missed it

- 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    - 2GB of DDR2 667 memory
    - Integrated Intel GMA 950 Graphics
    - 20x DVD+/-R Drive
    - 4 USB Ports
    - 250GB 7200RPM Drive

What I find more interesting in this case is not the big boy battle between Apple and them over the licensing of OS X. It's that they are using another guys's EFI emulator which has it's own license that basically says it's free for non-profit but not for comercial use.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited April 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    .... It's that they are using another guys's EFI emulator which has it's own license that basically says it's free for non-profit but not for comercial use.

Uh-oh.
    edited April 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    Don't know the exact models but it's just off the shelf standard PC hardware. Though they are using as much integrated hardware as possible. They do have the spec's out though if you missed it

- 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    - 2GB of DDR2 667 memory
    - Integrated Intel GMA 950 Graphics
    - 20x DVD+/-R Drive
    - 4 USB Ports
    - 250GB 7200RPM Drive

What I find more interesting in this case is not the big boy battle between Apple and them over the licensing of OS X. It's that they are using another guys's EFI emulator which has it's own license that basically says it's free for non-profit but not for comercial use.

This is a scam, In older screenshots the kernel appears to be hacked.
    edited April 2008
    What exactly do you mean it's a scam? They are selling the computers. They are generic PC's. They are loading leopard onto it using the same hacks anyone else can use to make a hackintosh.

They state, that apple could at any time, through an update make your computer unusable, which is also true for every hackintosh.

If you are referring to the emulator it's based on an older hacked kernel that is free to use.
    edited May 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    hey are loading leopard onto it using the same hacks anyone else can use to make a hackintosh.
    When the site first launched they claimed that they were using an EFI emulator, Now thats gone off the site and there just selling hackintosh's. Also the place it was so post to be located turned out to be a warehouse for another company, Then they changed the address
    kryyst wrote:
    They state, that apple could at any time, through an update make your computer unusable, which is also true for every hackintosh.
    The update will brick your hackintosh if its a kernel update.
    kryyst wrote:
    If you are referring to the emulator it's based on an older hacked kernel that is free to use.
    Yes but your breaking the DMCA by using it as its been modified to work on non apple branded hardware. (However apple should really allow this)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Engadget got one and reviewed it. Overall, I'm not impressed with it.