kvcd

JustinJustin Atlanta
edited December 2003 in Internet & Media
Can anyone shed any light on this topic for me? Smaller file size at higher quality? I don't believe it...

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    from KVCD.net
    "K Video Compression Dynamics"

KVCD is a modification to the standard MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 GOP structure and Quantization Matrix. It enables you to create over 120 minutes of near DVD quality video, depending on your material, on a single 80 minute CD-R/CD-RW. We have published these specifications as KVCDx3, our official resolution, which produce 528x480 (NTSC) and 528x576 (PAL) MPEG-1 variable bit rate video, from 64Kbps to 3,000Kbps. Using a resolution of 352x240 (NTSC) or 352x288 (PAL), it's possible to encode video up to ~360 minutes of near VCD quality on a single 80 minute CD-R. The mpeg files created will play back in most modern standalone DVD players. You must burn the KVCD MPEG files as non-standard VCD or non-standard SVCD (depends on your player) with Nero or VCDEasy.

Using KVCD parameters to create DVDs (KDVD), will enable you to create 100% DVD compliant MPEG-2 streams, capable of playing on any standard DVD player. This will allow you to put up to about 6 hours Full D-1 720x480 on one DVD, or about 10 hours at Half D-1 352x480.
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited December 2003
    What is the best way to go about doing this? Is it even worth it ? I have seen the website that the above quote comes from and there is a step by step file as to how to do this but I guesss I am looking for a simple converter...
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    First time I've heard of it ;D
  • edited December 2003
    ourlove2802 had this to say
    What is the best way to go about doing this? Is it even worth it ? I have seen the website that the above quote comes from and there is a step by step file as to how to do this but I guesss I am looking for a simple converter...

if there was a simple converter they would post it.

unless they feel like making a wizard to guide users through it then just learn the options and do the conversion with the given programs. I mean it's already free what more do you want.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    KVCD looks like ****.

KVCD is a settings script for TMPGEnc.
  • edited December 2003
    Thrax had this to say
    KVCD is a settings script for TMPGEnc.

LOL I didn't realize. Stick with xvid or try your hand at wma9 for small but good looking compression.
    edited December 2003
    People have tried and tried and tried...But SVCD and CVD, the first standards for compact disc video, are still the best.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Thrax had this to say
    People have tried and tried and tried...But SVCD and CVD, the first standards for compact disc video, are still the best.

VCD.. right?
    edited December 2003
    CVD.

China Video Disc.

That's their particular format for high-resolution CD-based videos. The rest of the world's is SVCD.

KVCD tries to replaced CVD and SVCD, but fails terribly.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Oh, ok... never heard of it. Being in America and all, I guess. Good to know.
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited December 2003
    Here's another question... I have a few movies that are
    ".DIVX_Xtech" They show under properties as .avi and when I use a AVI to SVCD converter, I get a frozen picture but flowing audio. I have tried several programs with the same results and I have more codecs than any one person should ever have to sift through. What can I do do attempt to transfer this to svcd?