Merging Hard Drives Help + Advice for backing up data

edited April 2008 in Hardware
hi,
resently i tryied to create RAID 5 array for home use - it didnt work, and i understand now that its not a good idea for PC anyway...
now i have 4 WD 1000FYPS hard drives... what i'd like to know is:
1) can i make all 4 drives to appear as one drive (one big huge volume)?? (under Windows Vista)
2) if yes - then how :), and if its a good idea anyway...
3) I'd like to backup all the data to another hard drive, but i'd like the back up to be updatet automaticly (say...once a week). is there a software that can do that?
4) also i'd like to know how much storage i'll need to back up 4 TB (meant the data (mainly HD video and music - if it matters) whould be compressed)?

thanks! :)

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2008
    I would just use separate drives as different volumes. 1 for OS, 1 for programs and anything else I would have for DLs, music, video, data, etc.

Although 1 TB is Waaay plenty for OS/programs thats how I would have the HDDs setup.
  • edited April 2008
    mmonnin wrote:
    I would just use separate drives as different volumes. 1 for OS, 1 for programs and anything else I would have for DLs, music, video, data, etc.

Although 1 TB is Waaay plenty for OS/programs thats how I would have the HDDs setup.

i have a seperate drive for OS and programs
    the 4 TB whould go for data only :) thats why i want them as 1 volume...
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2008
    You can make all drives appear as one big drive - but don't it's using volume logic. Windows does do a pretty big job of it but there is no benefit to doing it and it can cause problems so there's no point.

Just have an E, F, G, H drives and label them Movies, Music, Downloads, Documents for example.