BSOD w/ Rtkhdaud.sys

WinfreyWinfrey waddafuhMissouri Icrontian
edited April 2008 in Science & Tech
I have picked up a new game, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, and it's a pretty good time. However I have had to experience the game in 10-15 minute windows because I get a BSOD in that period of time. I have had no issues with any other games, so I'm curious if this is purely a game-related issue or if it is a driver-related one.

Here's my BSOD:

File believed to be cause: Rtkhdaud.sys

Error code: STOP: 0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0xB4FE801E, 0xB4FE801E, 0xB30BA71C, 0x00000000)

I have tried installing the latest drivers for my onboard realtek sound device but it doesn't fix the problem. Every time I have the BSOD it is the exact same error. I am running WinXP SP2.

Thanks for comments, suggestions. halp! Hopefully a fix for this inconvenience can be found.

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited April 2008
    8E, That's page fault in nonpaged area. Might wanna check your memory.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I'm pretty sure that is fine, I have 2 GB of RAM and a plenty large page file. The BSOD points to the rtkhdaud.sys file specifically. And it doesn't mention a page fault. This thread seems promising if I can recreate what this guy did to get the fix. He doesn't really say what he did though...
    edited April 2008
    Ok. You're not understanding something here. 8E is PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_MEMORY, That means the non-paged (This immediately excludes the pagefile, since it's paged). Something is WRONG with your PHYSICAL MEMORY. If XP/Vista says "Believed to be caused by" Try running the computer without the device enabled. If the problem goes away mystically and you get no more 8E errors on anything for about..Two gigabytes takes...30 days to cloud, then you figured it out and you can just go buy a PCI soundcard.

Sorry if I sound like a schmuck. The Microsoft knowledgebase made me do it.

Also; See here for more info about 8E errors.
    edited April 2008
    It doesn't happen with any other game or software I use. If something was wrong with my physical memory the error would be much more intermittent and happen in many other different situations. I just recreated the error, and it doesn't mention anything about a "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_MEMORY", regardless of what microsoft blows out their nose, I am about 90% sure that is isolated to this specific game and this particular driver for realtek sound devices.

From everything I have read this game has several issues due to a sub par port job to the PC. I am going to try another version of the audio driver and look for possible patches or fixes for Rainbow six in order to possibly fix this problem.

BTW: that link is for people who get this BSOD during windows xp setup not while operating a game or other software.
    edited April 2008
    Oh yeah so that immediately makes it change problems when you're doing other things. Page fault in nonpaged area is a hardware memory fault, regardless when it happens.
    edited April 2008
    Well i don't experience any issues while doing anything else. So I don't think its my RAM...:range:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Can't hurt to check it, winfrey. :rarr:
    edited April 2008
    I believe it is fixed. I got through about a 2-3 hour session and had zero problems. Apparently the Realtek driver listed on DFI's (my mobo manufacturer) website was NOT the latest driver for my device. The one on DFI's site was ver. 1.69 while the one that I found (and seems to be working) is ver. 1.90.

Another example of shoddy ports and generally bad drivers causing a good gaming experience to go bad.

Will post again if I have any more issues.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    YAD's responses in this thread are correct. You are probably the exception.
    edited April 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    YAD's responses in this thread are correct. You are probably the exception.

From everything I have seen about this game my situation is common for users of XP. I understood YAD's responses but I "knew" (sixth sense:tongue:) that they were not going to help me in this particular situation. Hopefully other people with this problem can get this fix before stressing over possible hardware failure or worse.