Choosing LED lights

edited April 2008 in Hardware
I fried all 4 led bulbs that where accidently connected negative to positive.

Are the harnesses that power cdroms, hdd 12v? what about the floppy?

I know that there are different intensity levels, but not sure what is best suited for this situation. On the radioshack website they show alot of different ones, would any work? http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=led&origkw=led&sr=1

Thanks

I had to rewrite the post because i found my problem :o

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Connecting an LED in reverse polarity shouldn't fry it. It just shouldn't work. Pretty much all led's require a similar forward voltage(3vdc) and current. (20ma)

What are you running these off of. It sounds like to me they got way too much power. Are you running these off of a 12 volt feed? If so do you have resistors to limit how much power can flow through? Without it the led will suck as much power as it can until it blows (usually very quickly)
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited April 2008
    The yellow wire is +12v, the red wire is +5v, and the blacks are ground i believe. Not sure why this one has 2 of each color, but it's the same voltages.

17-148-027-07.jpg

Also depends on how you're doing the wiring. If you're doing a series circuit then you can only get 3 LED's to the 5V most likely. Also, if it is series then then the first + leg(longer one) touches the wire, and then the - leg of that LED has to touch the + leg of the next LED. So it is + touching - in series essentially.

Parallel is different as you probably know.