Suggestion for HTPC Video Card

mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
edited April 2008 in Hardware
So I've been wanting to put a PC next to the TV and play movies from my computer on my TV and to record TV on the PC. I could also then play music on the TV system and not just my logitech's attached to my main PC.

I don't have a HDTV yet but I'll eventually get one at one point so I'd like it to be able to output some nice video to the TV.

I have no idea what to get for a HTPC. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Will be watching this thread, I'm very interested as well. HD output required.

Have satellite now, may move back to digital cable - not sure if that makes a difference but it might.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Most of the video cards available today are able to output a 1920x1080 signal over a DVI cable. There are DVI-HDMI cables that do the job nicely if there is not a DVI port on the TV. I do not recommend using a standard VGA cable.
    I am using SLI'ed 8800GTs to drive a 61" DLP during gaming (awesome!) but a single card will work well.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    9600gt works great
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    If you like ATI... 2400 pro and 2600XT (2600XT is pretty big tho)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2008
    I only have a normal 27" CRT atm so I dont have a HDMI input either. Its temping to just buy a LCD TV just so I can use the HDMI input from the PS3/DVD player->Receiver. :)

So any card will do? No All-In-Wonder type card or anything?
    edited April 2008
    Not unless you want to use the system as a tuner or Tivo.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2008
    mmonnin wrote:
    to record TV on the PC.

edited April 2008
    Sorry...forgot to check back with the original post. A tuner will be required, but it doesn't have to be attached to your video card. I'd recommend the AMD (ATI) TV Wonder 650. It's available in PCI and PCI Express versions and can even capture unencrypted digital channels.