Storage Server PSU

mertesnmertesn I am Bobby MillerYukon, OK Icrontian
edited April 2008 in Hardware
I'm looking to put a computer together for a home storage server. My main concern is the PSU. I plan to run a P4 2.8, 1GB RAM, an nVidia 5500, DVD drive, and probably 4 7200rpm IDE/SATA drives for now. The drive count will probably go as high as 8. Newegg says a 675+ watt PSU, another calculator says 450+ watts. I know for a video card the 12V rail is the main concern, but what about drives?

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2008
    If you have the cash the Pc Power & Cooling S75QB 750W PSU should have no issues with that.

You could probably get by with a 610W pc power and cooling unit as well.

*NOTE* Pc power & cooling psu's are rated at 50C most other manufactures rate there psu's at room temperature.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2008
    You could get by with a lot less than 750 or 610W. An old P4, 1gb of RAM and probably most important and old video card. Video cards are the latest parts to really up the wattage usage.

I've ran more than that on an Antec 330W PSU before. And hard drives dont pull a lot of wattage anyway.

Anything that spins uses the 12v rail, so hard drives/fans. They all have 12 vdc motors.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    mmonnin wrote:
    Anything that spins uses the 12v rail, so hard drives/fans. They all have 12 vdc motors.

That's good to know. For some reason I thought the drives used the 5v rail. Don't know where I got that from.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2008
    The chips on the hard drive probably use 5v but it probably wont draw as much current as the motor.