Random "Serious Error"

vertmanvertman Manchester, UK.
edited April 2008 in Hardware
Hello,

Every so often when playing a game, I get a blue screen with white text (Maybe a BSOD) on it and then my PC reboots it self before I get a chance to read any of it, I have had around 5 over the last few days now and it's rather frustrating, losing saved games and such. I think it is memory related, I am unsure though.

My memory is: "1GB Corsair XMS" if that is of any use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Look up Memtest on Google. Get it and run it. It will tell you if it is memory (RAM). Also search Memtest here for lots of info about it. Please report what Memtest tells you (hint: write it down and post it here in this thread of posts).

If not RAM, I would say so and probably start a thread in the security area with a note that it is not RAM.

If it happens ONLY when the computer has been on for a long time, could be overheating-- say if that is happening and we can explain how to CLEAN the computer so it does not overheat as much.

Those are the three big issues I can think of other than a corrupt or wrong driver or corrupted HD install of Windows or failing HD. We need more info to isolate this down to one fix, so expect some give and take of info.
  • vertmanvertman Manchester, UK.
    edited April 2008
    Thanks, but the computer is just going even slower and hardly working at all, I'm just going to format it, I have loads of problems with it right now and it will take a lot less time to format it and get everything set up again than it would to fix it.

Thanks for your help though.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Before you give up:

Turn off the 'automatic restart on error' option in windows, and it will leave the screen up for you to write down the error codes. Then search Microsoft's troubleshooting site for the error codes, and it will tell you exactly what is throwing the error out.

It might be something easy. :)