Some learn computer quickly orther don't

edited May 2008 in Folding@Home
Is there any questions I can ask an adult who wants to learn how to use a computer or the Internet. In other words how computer savvy he or she is? :rolleyes2:

Some people catch on quickly and others are so stupid that they don't even know where the power switch is to turn it on.

To make a long story short, this woman was so computer illiterate that she didn't even know where to turn the thing on. Her husband wasn't much smarter. It was her son that turned her computer on which these people had for about a year. The only thing he learned how to play on it is solitaire. Anyhow she was wanting me to show her how to check her email and check her airline schedule, that her schedule can be checked using her son's email address. Come to find out he use Yahoo and she use Earthlink. So I went ahead and set up a Yahoo mail account for her just to find out she didn't even have the password to access his account. I told her I can no longer help her since she didn't have the password. And then I was becoming a bit angry after going through all that.

She insisted on sitting at her computer as I stepped her through the process which turned out a complete disaster, because she absolutely didn't understand anything I was trying to teach her. This woman was so lost that I asked to sit at her computer at times explaining things to her. :aol:

What should have been a half hour lesson just to get her in her email, if she was just a little computer literate turned out to be 4 1/2 hours.

I told her at work that she will need a lot of training just to get her in her email and read it. She didn't want to send messages or anything like that. :mad:

A while back I came upon the same situation and told this woman how long it was going to take to at least get her on the Internet because she was another one that didn't even know where the power switch was and she's had her computer for probably 4 years and as stupid today as she was then. She constantly complained about family wasn't showing her properly how to use her computer and quickly lost interest after I told her how much time it will require since she was so green. :hiding:

And that is why I'm asking the question at the beginning of my post. I just don't want to show anyone how to use a computer when they can't even get interested enough to find where the power switch is. People like that don't need a computer. :headbange

Comments

• Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited May 2008
    Did you at least borg her computer to fold for our team? If the owner cant make good use of it, it doesnt mean the computer is useless. ;)
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited May 2008
    Did you at least borg her computer to fold for our team? If the owner cant make good use of it, it doesnt mean the computer is useless. ;)

It is not a good idea to borg a computer without permission. And XPhater doesn't run folding on his own - at least with that name. :confused:

Where are the moderators when we need them? Jack
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I flagged it a few weeks ago and never heard back... It really has nothing to do with folding. As for Ultra Nexus's comments... ???
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Um people like that just don't understand concept learning. If you teach them an idea of how to do something they still won't retain the know how to actually use it just the example response. If you can teach them that, for instance, there is a way to change the settings of a windows and you tell them there are many different ways to do it and they understand the navigation of how to do it instead of the single path you present then they will be able to understand the actual concept of how a computer operates instead of here just click on this and this and you get what you want.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited May 2008
    Yeah. What baffles me is that an otherwise intelligent adult can be so daft when it comes to something as simple as "Read a book." You know they still make those windows for dummies books, right? I get daggers and brimstone when I tell people to pick them up. Hell, I learned a bit from the Windows 2000 for dummies.

It sickens me to see an aversion to education. This is the downfall of America.