Physical location of partitions

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited May 2008 in Hardware
I need to know which of my partitions is closest to the beginning of the drive, but I don't remember the order in which I created them. Is there an easy way to find out?

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Is this the OS drive? or just a Storage drive?
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Open Computer Management then expand the "Disk Management" and it will show you the partitions.

How to display the Computer Management Console...
    Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
    For information about using Disk Management, in Computer Management, click Help on the Action menu.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    It's the OS drive. One partition holds the OS (c), a second hold my personal files(d), and a third holds all of my gaming files(g).

I noticed the other day that my swapfile was in 5 segements, so I want to redefine it. There only space big enough on c: at the end of the drive, but d: and g: both have plenty of space right at the beginning, where a swapfile would fit just nicely. I'm pretty sure that my OS partition is the first one I created, which would mean it would be better to just redefine the swapfile at the end of c:, rather than at the beginning of either of the others, but I don't really remember the order, so I want to make sure.
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Open Computer Management then expand the "Disk Management" and it will show you the partitions.

How to display the Computer Management Console...
    Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
    For information about using Disk Management, in Computer Management, click Help on the Action menu.

That's the first thing I did, but it lists them in alphabetical order, so I wasn't sure if that was actually the order on the drive, or if that was just the order in the list.
    edited May 2008
    If you created partitions during install, then C is where the OS was installed and is the first one created because the first one you create gets assigned C by default. Unless you changed the letters after creation of each partition, I do believe that C must be the first and at the beginning of the drive.
    edited May 2008
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    If you created partitions during install, then C is where the OS was installed and is the first one created because the first one you create gets assigned C by default. Unless you changed the letters after creation of each partition, I do believe that C must be the first and at the beginning of the drive.
    Yeah, I created the partitions using the windows intstall disk. so I guess c: is at the beginning.. Okay, I'll move the swapfile to another partition, then defrag c:, then reallocate the swapfile there, so it isn't fragmented anymore. :)
    edited May 2008
    If you get the trial of Diskeeper or O&O.. they have a boot time that will defrag the pagefile and then when you go back into Windows..you can defrag everything :)
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited May 2008
    Or, get more than 3gb and just turn off the page file...
    edited May 2008
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    If you get the trial of Diskeeper or O&O.. they have a boot time that will defrag the pagefile and then when you go back into Windows..you can defrag everything :)

Wouldn't it defrag the chunk into the end of the drive, where there is room for the whole thing?
    edited May 2008
    No. Most defrag tools put things in order by use, or filename. It really doesn't matter anyway, since no matter where it is; it still gets read.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2008
    Or, get more than 3gb and just turn off the page file...

Sure then watch your system throw a fit when programs that are hard coded to use the page file - try and use the page file.
    edited May 2008
    I ran my system for 24 hours with no pagefile. I didn't have a problem one.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2008
    All depends on what your doing. Running no page file in a general system will lead to problems.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    All depends on what your doing. Running no page file in a general system will lead to problems.

QFT. Windows XP (and even moreso Vista) needs a pagefile regardless of how much physical RAM the system has.