Best graphics for a lan build?

RatBurger08RatBurger08 Corpus Christi, TX
edited May 2008 in Hardware
Hey guys,

I'm building an mATX LAN pc and want to know what graphics card would be good for average to high gaming (Gears of war, COD4, GTA4 (when it comes out for pc) and some others.

Here's my specs on it so far:
Antec mATX Micro Fly LT case
400w psu included
and that's about it, but it will have pci-e so any 1.1 or 2.0 suggestions es bueno.

LMK

(PS- I prefer ATI since it's an AMD build (GASP!!!) but nVidia will work if it's good for the price)

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Antec doesn't make the Micro Fly. That means you've only got a 400W generic PSU to work with. You're putting in a quad-core Phenom (TDP of 125W). Your best bet to satisfy your gaming criteria is a midrange GPU from ATI or Nvidia, say a HD3850, HD3870, or 9600GT (all in the 100-125W TDP range). Factor in motherboard core logic and spinning devices and you're going to be redlining that power supply; don't be surprised if you aren't stable out of the box.

-drasnor :fold:
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited May 2008
    I always do my calcs with 10% tolerance upward so that there's always some headroom just in case I emergency add a fan or whatnot.

My suggestion is to take the case back, buy some acrylic panels and make something of your own design.

EDIT:// Doesn't Thermaltake still make that GPU power supply?
  • RatBurger08RatBurger08 Corpus Christi, TX
    edited May 2008
    haha funny thing is I already have acrylic panels but lack the tools/motivation to do it myself. And i'll probably end up just buying a new power supply.. Also the 3870 Diamond Viper was my choice for GPU so far

Also yes, sorry the case is an Ultra Micro Fly

BTW, what part of texas do you live in?
    edited May 2008
    EDIT:// Doesn't Thermaltake still make that GPU power supply?
    It takes up a 5.25" bay. He doesn't have any to spare in that chassis.

edited May 2008
    Actually it does have 2 5.25" slots, and I only have one DVD-RW
    edited May 2008
    I didn't see that. You could consider it I guess. Just make sure you have enough cooling.

edited May 2008
    Cooling wasn't a problem from what I heard about it.
  • garfield619garfield619 Philippines New
    edited May 2008
    hmm for GPU. a lan build eh? is it, like a computer shop(pay b4 you play)?
    for the games, that would not leave a hole in your pocket, a 7 Geforce Series would do. (i recommend 7600-UP). 8 series would be better! :D
    edited May 2008
    Ahh well I've decided a lan pc isn't what I wanted, so I traded that case and mobo for a complete computer :P

4400 x2
    2gb pc800 patriot
    nvidia 8600
    320gb sata hdd
    sli motherboard

it's a "meh" system but it's upgradeable to phenom and a better gfx so i'm good with that :P
  • garfield619garfield619 Philippines New
    edited May 2008
    not its not, quite good. that specs would kick.
    edited May 2008
    Not really. Those specs are mediocre right now, on a slow trend to epic fail. I'm already looking into picking up a Phenom just to keep up with the curve.
    edited May 2008
    Same here, YAD. I'm going 9600 or 8800, and phenom if possible very soon. lol
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited May 2008
    im my ultra cube case, i ran my 8800gts off of the ultra 380watt single rail 20A psu with no problems, i ran a gpu stress test and cpu stress test at the same time for about 12 hours to make sure cooling wasnt a problem, granted my cpu hit 60c but thats a stock cooler and its oc'ed,

i have a high cfm 80mm fan in the front and a high cfm 120mm fan in the back, both of which are controlled by the motherboard so when im not doing anything they are totally silent, but for graphics at LANS, cooling and power, really i'd go with a 3870, newegg has the single slot 3870's, and you might want to upgrade that psu depending on the brand and the rail power...

BUT now that you have a complete computer, i'd get a 3870 when you can afford one :)
    edited May 2008
    Yeah... MY micro case... lol thanks for the smooth trade btw
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I have a Nvidia 8800GT and its works pretty well with all those games. I believe I can get Max settings for Bioshock. I only get Low for Crysis though:(