AMD sempron +2800 single core - folding PC

garfield619garfield619 Philippines New
edited May 2008 in Folding@Home
this is the CPU of my friend. he wants to join folding, and invited him to team 93. but his PC uses this sempron. is single core alright for folding? he told me that CPU was running 100% with folding (he uses the command prompt one). is it ok? i know semprons are single core right? with VIA chipset.

Comments

• DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    That should be fine, just don't enable larger WU's when you're installing the console.
  • garfield619garfield619 Philippines New
    edited May 2008
    what do you mean dang? of WU?
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited May 2008
    WU=work unit ie the slice of code it is crunching on is is using the standard client and you can redo the configuration of the set up by adding flags to the shortcut path used to start the folding app.

http://fahwiki.net/index.php/How_do_I_add_flags_using_a_shortcut_to_the_console_client%3F
    edited May 2008
    ah ok. thanks a lot. but does it really run one core for 100%? im using quad and in SpeedFan one core was running 100%. is this normal? is it caused by folding @ home prog? sorry for the rain of questions. just curious.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    If you have a quad core, you should be running the SMP client. It's far better at taking advantage of the multiple cores you have in your computer.
    Yes, on his Sempron, it will be at 100%, unless you enter a lower number in the setup. By default, it is 100%.
    edited May 2008
    ok i would be doing that. thanks a lot
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Don't worry about the 100% though - it runs low priority, so it shouldn't affect the performance when running other programs.