Powerful GPU coolers.

Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
edited May 2008 in Hardware
hey guys,

I am looking to replace the cooler on my EVGA 8800GTS 640mb. I would like something that will be able to cool it well enough to give me some headroom on overclocking. Right now at 626mhz and 1800 memory clock it is almost 80 load. I have never used a GPU cooler prior to this, thus, I'm here hoping you fine people would be able to share your expertise.

Thanks guys,

Comments

• DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Thermalright makes a great one, the HR-03.
    http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/vga/hr03plus/product_vga_cooler_hr03plus.htm?art=MTQyMywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

You can run it either passive or add a 92mm fan to it for more cooling performance.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I'm looking at this cooler as well, however I have a further question. Can two of these be used with fans in an SLI setup? I have three slots between cards (it's an MSI P6N Diamond), and the cards are factory overclocked so they produce more heat than normal.

Has anyone tried this yet? I haven't seen a review of an SLI setup yet.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    That fan Dang linked is ranked at the top if not the best in most reviews. The issue with it being it becomes a 3-slot cooler once a fan is installed on it. I was looking at that cooler for a long time but got antz in my pants and bought a thermaltake DuOrb for my 8800 GT 512MB and it dropped my temps almost in half, peak at around 43-45C.

Mertesn in regards to you no...unless you have more room in your case at the bottom of your board where the last card is going to be; it might work with 15mm depth fans since 25mm depth fans take a whole PCI slot. These would work http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=147 in your case with no issue but with that hard bridge you might not be able to get everything to work. I am just not 100% on spacing at a glance and which express slots you have to use.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I have a soft bridge. The x16 SLI slots are the two grey ones (slots 1 and 5). I'm using an Antec 900 case, so the PSU is at the bottom - it'll probably be a tight fit. I'll likely buy one and see how it fits before buying the second one.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    yeah with a 15mm 92 fan you will have some room but not really enough for breathing, I would say make the bottom cage on the 900 empty so you get all the air to it that you can. There is also the V2 from thermalright, its copper colored and not as large and good but will give you the breathing room for the bottom card. But yeah if you are going to rock the cards rock them all the way.