Thermal paste application on an e8400...

edited May 2008 in Hardware
The Arctic Silver site says to apply the paste in a thin vertical line in the center of the heat spreader since thats the way the two cores are placed under the spreader. I was just wondering if this was the best way to do it with wolfdale chips incase something has changed with the core placement. The picture on their site looked like it was of a pentium dual core. Thanks.

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I use a 1/2 BB size dot right in the center of the IHS on all Dual Core CPU's :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    i still spread with a credit card.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Thrax wrote:

You should see what he'll do on the brass pole for a Benjamin!

/me makes it rain.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    icwutudidthere
  • edited May 2008
    Thrax wrote:

That's not the best way to apply any more, Thrax. That worked great with naked cores, but with an IHS it tends to put too much TIM on the processor and is harder to get a good mount. But if it works for you then that's good too. And it also depends on the viscosity of the TIM material too. A thinner paste is easier to spread.

I use a bb sized dot in the middle of the IHS myself with AS5 or Ceramique nowadays.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I have tried both ways with a few different paste and it all seems to produce all the same temps.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited May 2008
    Depending on what brand I'm using; I'll either draw a small circle and spread it out with a fine brush, or use a putty knife.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2008
    I agree, mudd. I used to spread it out, but also use a small dot for dual core intel and all AMD processors. The biggest pain about spreading it across the entire heat spreader is that is much harder to remove the heatsink. This is especially true with sticky TIM like AS ceramique.

After a few mounts, you get a good feel for how much to apply.
  • garfield619garfield619 Philippines New
    edited May 2008
    some brands advice that using a manicure nail brush to spread the paste, some just tells you to leave a dot and let the sink spread em.