Split Drives

garfield619garfield619 Philippines New
edited May 2008 in Hardware
I just wondered, i reformated my PC just yesterday, but i got a technician to fix some errors on my PC. he installed some tweaks but. WTF. He made my 500gig mem to split drives (500 single HD) drive C and D. so 250 gig each. Is there any way that i could merge it back to a whole 500 gig?

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    You would have to use a third party partition manipulator like Partition Magic.

Be very careful with those programs, however, as messing with partitions can be dangerous to your data
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    IMHO, if that's the only drive on the PC, you should leave them split. Hell, you should split it even more. OS on one partition and everything else on the others. So you don't lose all your data if the OS gets screwed up.
  • garfield619garfield619 Philippines New
    edited May 2008
    there are no important files in my PC, just games and i have installers of them, and i could just DL. so i will give partition magic a try. CB dreoge, any tips for using this right? and for black hawk, what do you mean? install another OS in another partition?
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Before you go out and buy anything, what version of Windows are you running? If XP then carry on, but if Vista you can merge partitions in Disk Manager w/o any third party crap.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    there are no important files in my PC, just games and i have installers of them, and i could just DL. so i will give partition magic a try. CB dreoge, any tips for using this right? and for black hawk, what do you mean? install another OS in another partition?

Have the OS on one partition and the rest of your files on another. If you have any games that use Steam, if you have them on another partition, you don't have to download every time you reinstall. Fragmentation doesn't hit the performance that much and it's easier to make backups of the OS with separate partitions. No need for reinstalling windows every time something happens.
    edited May 2008
    ah, so you mean that i save the INSTALLERS on the partition?
    edited May 2008
    Save the installers?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    No, mate... here's my setup as an example:

I have a 250gb HD, split into three partitions: c: (50gb), d: (100gb), and g: (100gb)

When I installed windows, I installed it onto c:. The only other things I install onto c: are system software like virus scanners and maintinence utilities and so forth. I install all of my games onto g:, and I use d: to store all of my personal files: anything that I make or download, which I'd be worried about making or finding a second time, goes there.

This setup allows me to reformat c: and reinstall windows without overwriting all of my game files, so that all I have to do is reinstall my games and my setup and savegames are still there. Also, when I want to do a backup of all the important stuff, it's all right on one partition, so I just back up that whole partition.

Mostly, it's an organizational, and time-saving tool.
    edited May 2008
    wow, well explained. thankyou!