XP Keeps Restarting During Loading of Windows

edited May 2008 in Hardware
I have an XP machine which keeps restarting while windows is trying to load. It also restarts when I attempt to load in safe mode as well. This all started while I was trying to clean up a lot of viruses and spyware. I've attempted to fix it via the Recovery Console, but I don't think it's doing anything. After using the console I've attempted to start up the system, but the same thing happens. There is no BSOD that appears. Can someone help me out with this?

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2008
    Likely the system file has been corrupted. Your can probably recover your system if you do a repair install - which is not the same as doing a recovery console install.

Boot up your system with the cd but when the first screen comes up asking if you want to do an install or r for the console pick install instead. Then it will detect that you have windows already installed and ask you if you want to repair it.

The repair install will basically reinstall windows core, but you'll keep any installed programs and all your data. Once windows is reinstalled you just do the windows updates and you are back to where you were.
  • edited May 2008
    I would try a repair after a check disk. Boot to the cd and enter the recovery console. Enter the following command on the C: Drive

CHKDSK /R

I have had this fix the startup blue screen problem countless times.

If that fails go ahead and do a repair
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited May 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    Likely the system file has been corrupted. Your can probably recover your system if you do a repair install - which is not the same as doing a recovery console install.

Boot up your system with the cd but when the first screen comes up asking if you want to do an install or r for the console pick install instead. Then it will detect that you have windows already installed and ask you if you want to repair it.

The repair install will basically reinstall windows core, but you'll keep any installed programs and all your data. Once windows is reinstalled you just do the windows updates and you are back to where you were.

yep, i second that. repair loads are amazing, they've saved me multiple times when changing hardware ;)
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Ive had a similar problem with a failing memory stick, try taking one out.
  • edited May 2008
    ' wrote:
    [v][AGIC']Ive had a similar problem with a failing memory stick, try taking one out.

Good suggestion didnt think of that. Download memtest86+ and boot to it to check your ram for errors.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2008
    It's certainly worth doing a memtest. However ram errors almost always result in a BSOD during boot. If it's just looping it's almost always a harddrive error, either physical, but in this case it's most likely a damaged file structure.