Persistant and stubborn

davidacorddavidacord Humboldt CA
edited May 2008 in Hardware
Hi,

I just got a HP SR5410F with a Pentium E2160 Dual 1.8 GHZ.

I've been told a dozen times that OEM rigs are not Overclockable but I just HAVE to check to see if any one knows about this model and if it an exception to the rule or not.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    It's not overclockable.
  • edited May 2008
    It became evident to me, that HP is trying all they cn to lock up the system so it can't be overclocked, AMD or INTEL processor, it doesn't matter.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    ALL oem's do this, not just HP.

Imagine the support nightmare if they let their customers OMG MHZ OVARCLOK their best buy-bought computers? Please.
  • edited May 2008
    If you are a little adventurous, you can overclock that processor all the way to 3.0 GHz. But you will have to take the processor out of the machine and do a fairly easy padmod to it. What you are doing with the padmod is changing the default fsb sense speed from 200 MHz all the way to 333 fsb.

If you feel adventurous, I will link you to an article on how to do the padmod. The guy did it to a Dell Vostro 200 machine with the same processor. You will also need to monitor processor temps if you do this as they might rise significantly is HP's cooling solution isn't adequate.
  • davidacorddavidacord Humboldt CA
    edited May 2008
    I am feeling a little adventurous...

Can I take all of the innards out and put them in a different case?

I was thinking of a Gigabyte Mercury Pro even though it costs more than the original computer.
  • garfield619garfield619 Philippines New
    edited May 2008
    woooooo, im feeling the heat. OVARCLAXK
  • davidacorddavidacord Humboldt CA
    edited May 2008
    So... what do I need? Besides step by step instructions?
  • edited May 2008
    OK, so you are feeling brave then! :thumbsup: The mod really isn't hard to do but you need to pay attention when doing the pad mods and connect and insulate the right pads on the proc.

For a 200 fsb proc such as your 2160, you will do 2 modifications. The first one you will do is the 200->266 fsb padmod. Then after that is done, you will need to do the second connection of 2 pads to get the 266->333 fsb jump made.

Here are 2 articles on how to do this. The first article is JoeC buying his Vostro 200 and running some benches on it and then doing the 266 fsb padmod. Then he did the 333 fsb padmod and retested with everything being totally stable and with load temps in the mid 50's. The second article is a detailed "How To" on doing the padmods. Read them both thoroughly before attempting this on your processor.

The first article on the Vostro 200.

"Intel LGA775 Pad Modding" article.

Good luck on your stock OEM machine overclocking adventure, davidacord! :ninja: