LAN GAMES - Official List?

QCHQCH Ancient GuruChicago Area - USA Icrontian
edited June 2008 in Community
OK, so we've been tossing around games that we'd like to play but we haven't really narrowed it down. I'd like one or two First Person Shooter games and one or two Real Time Strategy games.
  • Half Life 2: Death Match
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Battlefield 2
  • Unreal Tournament 2004
  • World in Conflict
  • Command and Conquer 3
Any more? And I mean seriously want to play and is a viable LAN game.

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Do we need HL2DM with TF2?
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Can BF2 and UT2k4 be played over LAN w/o valid keys?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    No, that's an IC LAN standard - we don't **** around with pirated copies and patches, etc. We run the latest official servers with the latest official patches, and it's up to you to connect and make it work. The easiest way to ensure seamless operation is to just buy the games you want to play.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Warhammer: Dawn of War (+ whatever expansions)
    Dungeon Keeper
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    UT2K4 + TF2. Everyone has them and is familiar with them.

No input on RTS.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I only have tf2:(. ill try to get one more game by the LAN. ill either get unreal or deathmatch
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    NiGHTS wrote:
    Can BF2 and UT2k4 be played over LAN w/o valid keys?

yes they can fwiw.

World in Conflict is great.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Eff, I have so little time to practicceeee. The last time I played Unreal Tournament I only stayed alive by running in circles...
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    UT2K4 + TF2. Everyone has them and is familiar with them.

The man speaks truth. Also, TF2 is known to rock faces.
    mertesn wrote:
    Warhammer: Dawn of War (+ whatever expansions)

I don't have any expansions, but I'm down with playing some Dawn of War. AFAIK, the multiplayer will work with whatever combination of expansions the players have.

I don't have any other RTS games except for AOE2 that I picked up for last year. Dawn of War is really cheap now if anyone else is interested.
    edited May 2008
    You are correct about dawn of war garg, which makes it easier to lan with.

Anyone played Company of Heroes? It is a really awesome game.
    Or Supreme Commander, mebbe?
    edited May 2008
    FreeC8675 wrote:
    You are correct about dawn of war garg, which makes it easier to lan with.

Anyone played Company of Heroes? It is a really awesome game.
    Or Supreme Commander, mebbe?

I will have both, Winfrey. I think we may do a lot of gaming by ourselves :p
    edited May 2008
    NiGHTS wrote:
    I will have both, Winfrey. I think we may do a lot of gaming by ourselves :p

Sounds good to me:thumbsup:

We can see if Idiot_Slayer is on at home and play some 3v3 CoH for all-out epicness.

We got everybody in our dorm hooked on CoH and have had crazy marathon sessions ftw.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I have CoH too. never played it. Maybe I'll see what it's all about.
    edited May 2008
    I'm really not that good at it so I'll probably get my ass kicked really bad. Unless I'm on your team - which means I'll be the guy that'll be on guard duty.

Prime, CoH is a fantastic game, I hope you enjoy it.
    edited May 2008
    It is easily the best WWII RTS game ever. I'm a lot better at CoH than Supreme Commander. I thought I was good at that game until I played online some. Then I got raped, every time.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Isn't it, say, one of the only WWII RTS games ever?
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I just got deathmatch. Its only $5 on steam for anyone that doesnt have it.
    edited May 2008
    Thrax wrote:

It's a short list, that's for sure. It's one of the more "accessible" and certainly more forgiving games when compared to the Sudden Strike/Blitzkriegs and the like.
    edited May 2008
    Thrax wrote:

Which helps to make it easily the best WWII RTS game ever.

Seriously though, if you adjust the camera angle during battles its like a scene from Band of Brothers or something, and artillery strikes are amazing! Direct hit on infantry squads will send arms, heads and legs flying.

It's similar to Dawn of War in a lot of respects.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I have CoH as well. Came with my video card. Never played it. I do have a second key if someone wants to play.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I'm gonna try to get CoH and UT2k4 before the lan. I'd be up for those as well as TF2 (of coure) and maybe some hl2dm. Anyone for some Warcraft 3 tower defense? THis is generally a pretty awesome game for lans, as Winfrey sure as hell knows.
    edited May 2008
    Everybody has Warcraft 3 and tower defense is the perfect way to whittle out the whee hours of the night. I could grab my friends TD map folder which has thousands of maps we can play. Just saying :bigggrin:
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    FreeC8675 wrote:
    Everybody has Warcraft 3 and tower defense is the perfect way to whittle out the whee hours of the night. I could grab my friends TD map folder which has thousands of maps we can play. Just saying :bigggrin:

Wait... Are you talking about a Tower Defense MOD for Warcraft 3?
    edited May 2008
    FreeC8675 wrote:

We must play Burbenog!

edit: CB not so much a mod just a bunch of maps set up for TD.
    edited May 2008
    They are custom maps people made, news to you CB? Similar to mods, they also have hero maps and mario-party like maps etc. All pretty good stuff.
    edited May 2008
    I never saw any tower defense maps, but I haven't even looked at WC3 since just a few weeks after it came out.

I don't remember a lot of variety to the towers, so I figured it would need to be a MOD to put in new tower types...
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I just remembered Scorched 3D the other day. I'd love to organize a quickie tourney.
    edited May 2008
    CB wrote:
    I never saw any tower defense maps, but I haven't even looked at WC3 since just a few weeks after it came out.

I don't remember a lot of variety to the towers, so I figured it would need to be a MOD to put in new tower types...

Iirc you must have frozen thrown to play most of them. Winfrey probably knows for sure but I think the expansion adds a lot of new towers to the game which the maps use.
    edited May 2008
    Ya, but CB probably just played all the crappy TD maps that Blizzard put out. No Burbenog, no WinterMaul, no Pimp my Peon, etc. When Frozen Throne came out it added some stuff to let you change a lot more stuff when you are making maps which helped the variety out there today. I'll be at my friends house this friday and can just grab them all then. He has a huge folder, several hundred megs of maps. Ridiculous. Also the latest patch for Warcraft 3 removed CD recognition so you don't have to remember to bring your disc to the lan, just have it installed.

Garg: haven't played much scorched since the original, is the 3d version pretty good?
    edited May 2008
    You're right, I never even tried Frozen Throne.

Shorch3d was made by different people, it's not much like the original.