windows couldn't start because the following files is missing or corrupt <windows roo

edited May 2008 in Hardware
I keep getting the following message on my company laptop windows couldn't start because the following files is missing or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hal.dll

I have used the steps that I found on Google that R.H. has posted.
C: CD ..
C: ATTRIB -H C:\\boot.ini
C:ATTRIB -S C:\\boot.ini
C:ATRIB -R C:\\boot.ini
C: del boot.ini
C: BOOTCFG /Rebuild
C: CHKDSK /R /F
C: FIXBOOT

When I do the chkdsk /r/f - it gets stuck at 54% it has been like that from 7pm Friday night till 10am Saturday morning.
I then searched more and tried the following: I rebooted and did the steps again skipping the chkdsk. I then did the expand E:\i386\hal.dl_ C:\windows\system32\hal.dll

I get "Unable to create file hal.dll 0 file expanded. I am using an original MS Windows XP Professional.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    It really sounds like your hard drive is messed up, given that chkdsk can not complete.

Try this article: http://icrontic.com/articles/hard_drive_diagnostics
  • edited May 2008
    It didn't work. It comes to the Drive List and tells me what I have and thats it. Does not ask me anything. It won't run a diagnostic. It does not give that option. The hard drive is not ticking thank goodness. ATA Primary Master FUJITSU MHV2060AH 60gb SMART GOOD DMA 5 - Aciystuc nab ebabked current level 254 0xfe, Power man - enabled current level 128 0x80 write cache enabled, read look-ahead enabled. I have Drive, Features and Help. Is there anyway I can put an external drive on it I just need to get the docs off/nk2/pst (stop laughing I'm serious)
  • edited May 2008
    cmon does anyone else have an answer. 60 views and no one else can reply. where is the help here!
  • edited May 2008
    You're kidding, right?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Connect the drive to another PC and read the files off, yes it can be done as long as the connected PC is running Win 2000 or higher so you can read NTFS.

Get the Fujitsu Drive tools, not Hitachi's, that may help.
    edited May 2008
    The Hitachi tools are supposed to work on any drive. But, yeah, try the fujitsu tools instead.
  • edited May 2008
    this is a laptop not a cpu
    edited May 2008
    Then remove the laptop HDD from the laptop, and by a laptop HD to USB adapter. You'll be able to connect it to a full PC.
  • edited May 2008
    Thank you so much for your assistance. I was able to at least see the docs. I am in the process of taking them off! Again, many thanks for the quick response!
    edited May 2008
    :) glad we could help. Stick around!