Dlink Router How can I open Port 5060

edited May 2008 in Hardware
My daughter has a Dlink Router WBR 2310 and I am trying to set up VOIP for her, The trouble is that the router is blocking port 5060, I disconnected her firewall, on her router and still can't get it to work, we tried her old router and VOIP worked fine but that router isn't wireless,

Any Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

John3840

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    There should be a section called port forwarding, just set 5060 to allow traffic to pass. Might have to point it at the IP of her computer or just allow it on all IP's.
  • edited May 2008
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    There should be a section called port forwarding, just set 5060 to allow traffic to pass. Might have to point it at the IP of her computer or just allow it on all IP's.

Thanks for the Info, how do I allow it on all Ip's?
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    You can't. You'd have to use a different port on each computer and forward those.
  • edited May 2008
    john3840 wrote:
    Thanks for the Info, how do I allow it on all Ip's?

Its not a firewall problem, I disabled the firewall, and the port 5060 is still blocked, ther must be a setting in the router itself that is blocking this port.

Tried a different router and it works fine but it isn't wireless.

John3840
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Turning off the firewall will not fix the issue. The firewall is what makes ports invisible to outside scans, and makes it so your network doesn't respond to "Are you there?" ping requests from the outside world. On residential routers, turning the firewall off does nothing more than let outsiders see exactly what ports are closed and open, and that you exist on the internet.

You must still forward ports on the LAN to get around NAT. Network address translation is what allows you to use multiple computers on a single IP address from your ISP, and is also the mechanism that handles incoming/outgoing requests from a computer over a port. To put it conversationally, NAT does this: "Okay, there's information here destined for port 5060, but there are no computers set up to receive traffic on 5060. Traffic rejected."

But if you actually forward the port on the router, it sees that the traffic for port 5060 actually is supposed to go somewhere, and the traffic stops getting rejected.

In short: Forward those ports, if it's not working, it's being set up wrong.
  • edited May 2008
    If forward port 5060 which Ip address do I give it? the routers Ip address or the ATA box LinkSys Pap2T IP address?

I did try Both and with no luck,

John3840
    edited May 2008
    The IP address of the device you want to route to.
  • edited May 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    The IP address of the device you want to route to.

I did do that and still no luck,
    edited May 2008
    Have you fully rebooted the router and assured that you forwarded both UDP and TCP traffic? Most routers let you pick one or the other, or both. Some routers also require a reboot to forward a port.
  • edited May 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Have you fully rebooted the router and assured that you forwarded both UDP and TCP traffic? Most routers let you pick one or the other, or both. Some routers also require a reboot to forward a port.

I am doing all this via Logmein, I am in Australia and my daughter is in Canada, When I make any changes, I do save them, and I did 5060 as any that covers both UDP & TCP. the router has been rebooted several tomes,

This a difficult one as I never had a problem like this B4, and I have port forwarded on my router with no problems until now.
    edited May 2008
    Okay, at this point are you sure that port 5060 is the correct port, and that you're forwarding to the correct address?
  • edited May 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Okay, at this point are you sure that port 5060 is the correct port, and that you're forwarding to the correct address?

Yes I am sure.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2008
    If her laptop is setup to use DHCP then doing your port forwarding will cause trouble because if you statically set it to map 5060 to 192.168.1.100 (for example) the next time she reboots there is no guarantee she'll still be that same IP. Make sure that her laptop is set to a static IP below the .100 range and map it to that port.

Is this VOIP just over skype for example or is it through a VOIP device that has a phone connected to it?
  • edited May 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    If her laptop is setup to use DHCP then doing your port forwarding will cause trouble because if you statically set it to map 5060 to 192.168.1.100 (for example) the next time she reboots there is no guarantee she'll still be that same IP. Make sure that her laptop is set to a static IP below the .100 range and map it to that port.

Is this VOIP just over skype for example or is it through a VOIP device that has a phone connected to it?

It isn't a laptop, it is a PC windows XP Home. The device is a lynksys ATA model PaP2T and it is configured to with a telephone Number and it uses Port 5060, which I configured in Port forwarding using the ATA Ip address.

This ATA Box works fine on a different router but it isn't wireless

I hope this makes sense to you.

Cheers

John 3840
  • edited May 2008
    I have don't have any suggestions to add, but I'm having the same issue.

I have a Dlink DIR-330. All of the other port forwarding that I've setup works great, but not 5060 which forwards to our pbx here in the office for our phones. The only thing I noticed in our setup was that I had it set to UDP only instead of Any. I thought about going back to change that, but I don't know if it will do any good.

Our old router is a Netopia and we don't have any problems with it and the port forwarding rules are setup the same as the Dlink. The Netopia has been locking up on us, hence the new router.

We have machines we host for clients so I don't get to play around with switching out routers too much during day, but I may look at it again this evening.

If anyone has any advice for what may be going on, I'm all ears. I've contacted Dlink, but they don't have any reported bugs related to this. Although I did find a bug in the IP reservation part of the firmware. They're "looking into it".
  • edited May 2008
    Hi chskey,
    I fixed my problem by upgrading the firmware on the router, everything works fine now.
    so try to upgrade your firmware.

Cheers John3840
  • edited May 2008
    john3840 wrote:
    Hi chskey,
    I fixed my problem by upgrading the firmware on the router, everything works fine now.
    so try to upgrade your firmware.

Cheers John3840

Unfortunately I've already tried that. I'm on the latest version. I've opened a case with Dlink, but they just released a firmware update this month so I doubt they will be in any hurry to put another one out :rolleyes:

Which is a shame because the features for the price are really good on this thing. The next step up is getting into the $500 plus range for what I'm looking for.

Bummer.
  • edited May 2008
    chuskey wrote:
    Unfortunately I've already tried that. I'm on the latest version. I've opened a case with Dlink, but they just released a firmware update this month so I doubt they will be in any hurry to put another one out :rolleyes:

Which is a shame because the features for the price are really good on this thing. The next step up is getting into the $500 plus range for what I'm looking for.

Bummer.

Hi Chuskey,
    Try reseting the router to factory default and then re installing the firmware, I have had a similar problem once on my old router where the new firmware got corrupted at installation. after reinstalling the firmware for the second time it worked fine. Lost a lot of hair in the mean time.

Cheers John3840