Another Ram Question

Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan New
edited December 2003 in Hardware
Finally I am going to be tossing my stick of generic 512mb pc2100 out the window.

I am going to be getting some new ram for x-mas so I can o/c my xp1800 and get the dual-channel going. My budget is about $100.

$54.50 a stick
OCZ Performance Series 184 Pin 256MB DDR PC-3200
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-832&catalog=147&depa=1

$44.00 a stick
Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 256MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-025&catalog=147&depa=1

I was looking at these two. I am leaning towards the OCZ so far. Pretty much all of the reviews are positive for it and it comes with heat-spreaders.(plus it isn't OEM)

And I picked the corsair because its seems to be the ram of choice for most people, but it is the OEM value select since I am on a budget.

Yay or Nay for the OCZ?

Comments

• Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan New
    edited December 2003
    ah-hem...while guessing from the lack of responses, I picked the incorrect ram. So I will be chipping in some of my own money if I get one of these:

Kingston HyperX Series Dual Kits 184 Pin 512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-3200
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-144-125&catalog=147&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-3200 with Platinum-Silver Heat Spreader - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-452&catalog=147&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

There were are few choices for each kingston and corsair that were in the same price range and some the only difference was cas latency. Not too familer with cas latency, but I am guessing that the kingston is the faster ram?(of the two) Opinions or words of wisdom? Anyone?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Kingston, out of the box, is faster RAM.. However that's because they choose to use the timings that the Corsair modules can run, but don't due to possible compatability issues.

My choice lies FIRMLY in Corsair for value, speed, stability, overclockability, and reliability.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Anyone of those should serve you well.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited December 2003
    I'm using Kingston Hyper X in my main rig, it works like a charm with my 1700+ being overclocked. Corsair is also a great brand of memory to get. Either should do great, just according to how much money you are willing to spend.
    edited December 2003
    Thanks for the input.

I'll probably just flip a coin to decide :D

Though I do like the blue heat spreaders better then the silver...
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    You can get the XMS with black heat spreaders too. there is no difference between the XMS black and platinum other than color. I actually had someone try to tell me there was, so I laughed in their face. ;) You will find you will get better timings and possibly more OC with the XMS also.
    edited December 2003
    Blue heat spreaders are sweet, but only if you have a side window that you can actually see the memory, other than that it's just a color.
    edited December 2003
    I was figuring that it would match my mobo(which is blue) so it would look nice pretty through my side window :)
    edited December 2003
    I'd rather be without the spreaders as they are only creating more heat.

WTF gives a damn about looks on the memory?!?
    edited December 2003
    I tend to.
    edited December 2003
    Mackanz had this to say
    [BWTF gives a damn about looks on the memory?!? [/B]

;D I figure you need to look at the package as a whole. Especially when I am going to be spending $100+ for my ram! I better like how it looks for that much :D

Would you buy purple or pink ram?(Or whatever color you dislike the most)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2003
    Mr_Bojingles had this to say
    Would you buy purple or pink ram?(Or whatever color you dislike the most)
    My daughter (who turned 18 last month) just loves her purple Mushkin heat spreaders. Actually, with the right kind of lighting it does add something to the overall visual effect.

...just what that "something" is, I'm not entirely sure...
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited December 2003
    If you want it to look cool, you could always go for the Memory with LEDs on them :D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2003
    Templar had this to say
    If you want it to look cool, you could always go for the Memory with LEDs on them :D
    Sssshhhhh!!!! If she finds out about that I'll never hear the end of it... :vimp:
    edited December 2003
    ;D

I suppose I could get ram with leds.

Not only would it look cool, it would probably give me about a 10% performance boost. ;)
    edited December 2003
    You should add a spoiler on it too.
    edited December 2003
    I can't believe i am seing this from men. Christ on a raft.
    edited December 2003
    Not only do you need a spoiler, but you need a one stripe racing stripe running down the front of the computer, then it would be fast.
    edited December 2003
    Hmm...maybe I should add a "Type-R" sticker as well. Then anyone who sees my computer will know it truely IS fast.

Really it is...I just will never release my benchies becuase I don't want to put everyone else to shame because my type-r sticker lets me do that :tongue: