Psu power withdraw

revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
edited May 2008 in Hardware
Hi, im just wondering, say you buy a 1000w PSU for example. Does it draw 1000w all the time or just use what it needs?

Thanks.

Comments

• beatzbeatz i am a hamburger Member
    edited May 2008
    It won't draw 1000 Watts all the time. It will use as much power as the parts it runs plus some transformation loses. The efficiency usually lies somewhere around 70-80%, so if you are concerned about power consumption, you should use a high efficient PSU.
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited May 2008
    Ok, thanks for that.

Its all i needed to know. :bigggrin:
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited May 2008
    ya, to get what you pay for try to stay 80 + certified, when you do this you know you're getting a well built psu that is going to last and not crap out on you in a couple months... 1000W psu is pretty hefty though, what kind of system do you have?
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    You can get a device called a Kill-a-watt that plugs into the wall and you plug the PC into it. It will record the power draw for you and will tell you how much power a device is drawing, both when turned off and when turned on.

http://www.p3international.com/products/special/P4400/P4400-CE.html
  • edited May 2008
    Uhh, 1000w, thats lots what do you need that much power for? ASUS suggested for power users with demanding system to use 600w+ for their Crosshair MB. I am running on 420 and standard 10% OC, doing fine :P

Only thing i think need 1000W is Thermo Electric Waterblocks. they are cool :P
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Cooler Master supposedly has a new 900W PSU that's rated at almost 87 percent efficiency. Check the Shorties for the post.