Which comes first?

edited May 2008 in Hardware
Building my first system. As I understand it there are two standards
when it comes to video card GPUs. Nvidia and ATI. If I want to use only one video card does it make any difference which mother board I buy. If I want to use dual video cards I know I have to buy a motherboard that supports either SLI or Crossfire.

My system will be a multitasking unit used mainly for video/photo
editing DVD creation, as a Media Center PC white web surfing, some game playing, word and excel etc. I'm planning on using a quad Q9450 processor. Sounds like 64 bit Vista is best. I'm not limited by a budget but not interested in wasting $. If spending a little more will provide a noticeable improvement I'll do it. Also I want this system to last and be upgradeable.

I suspect I first need to pick a video card that would be best for the
media center application. What are my options and what are the trade
offs?. How much memory should it have? If I get more into gaming it
sounds like I might want to add a second card later witch limits my
mother board choices. What would be a good MB for the video card?

OR do I have the cart before the horse. Should I decide on a
motherboard and then pick the best fit video card. I suspect I'll go
the DDR2 route and would play with over clocking but, it's not a priority.

OR is there a hands down, no brainer obvious pick for both.

OR am I all wet and don't really understand whats going on?
TIA, jmk

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    -Um where to go with this. Generally running two video cards is a small increase for the amount of money that is being put into it unless there are is industrial software going onto it. One video card cost less and will provide you the bang you are looking for most video applications as well as gaming. If you are really interested in two cards right now then check something like the NVidia 9800GTX x2 cards($500~~), two video cards on one card essentially. For NVidia its a 8800GT or a 8800GTS 512MB video card for just a single card.
    -DDR2 is still where almost all the systems are so that gets you going some, go for a 4GB kit(2x2GB). If you are going to OC this at all you are looking for something that has low voltage requirements as well as 4-4-4-12 C4 timings listed, or better.
    -There are a huge number of P35 chipset intel boards that will fit your build needs as well as x38 chipset motherboards. This is one that kind of boils down to what do you personally want in your computer. There might be one board that looks sexier than then the rest to you. Also it depends on you needing Firewire or a bunch of USB as well as other interfaces that are on the back.
    -The thing that will help you pick and people guide you is making a list of what you really need to computer to do; USB, FireWire, audio, loud/quiet, pretty lights, how intensive on the video side for editing and games, harddrives(raid or not). Really everything you can just about think you are wanting from this or might want.
  • edited May 2008
    So it's ok to put an SLI vidio card into a Crossfire motherboard?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Unfortunately, no. For the Core 2 CPU, the rule is as follows:

If it's an NVIDIA-designed chipset: SLI only.
    If it's an Intel-designed chipset: CrossFire only.
    If you want SLI on an Intel-designed chipset: GX2-series NVIDIA cards.
  • edited May 2008
    Thanks, So it looks like I should pick a MB second. A Q9450 then the ASUS P5K Deluxe or Premium (can't tell the difference) MB? The P5K seems to have all the bells and whistles one might want and should last several years, is reasonably priced. Could I do better then the P5K? The x38 boards seem overkill unless I go with DDR3. It seems there isn't much bang for the buck or improved performance with current DDR3 over DDR2.

If I go the P5K route what should I look for in a video card? Thanks again. Your help improves my confidence level.
    edited May 2008
    You can put a SLI certified video card into a crossfire, Intel, motherboard you just cannot run SLI with it. It doesn't matter what kind of motherboard you have as long as you are just putting one video card in and you match the video expansion slot to the card, is that what you were getting at.

As for the boards they both the same board with the difference being the package contents. The Premium gives you one more Sata data cable and two heatpipe cooling fans. If you find them both at the same price why not go for the one that gives you more for the same money.
  • edited May 2008
    I want to leave the option of using two video cards open. My concern was should the video card dictate the motherboard or vice a versa given my priority for video/photo editing and HTPC.
    edited May 2008
    Buy the P5K Premium(newegg.com) and a Radeon 3870 video card. That video card will provide equal performance to the workstation video cards that ATI produces as well as still have a card that is able to run all current and most future video games and display a HD picture for any TV. With the motherboard and the card together it will allow you to put in a second video card and bridge them together.
    -Both NVidia and ATI cards that are high end are so cheap now that it really doesn't matter which one you choose. The only time it would really come into play would be if you someone was doing commercial grade CGI rendering....and thats a different game all together.

Sounds like you are doing home/semi-professional editing since you want it to do be a media machine that can game some. That rig will handle every game out there.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited May 2008
    I dont think anyone has mentioned your choice in OS. If they have then sorry for repeating.

DONT choose the 64bit Vista. If you do the chances are that nothing will work. My understanding is that all drivers in the 64bit version have to be Microsoft Certified. The chances of you building a system with 100% certified drivers is slim and there may also be compatability issues with your software.

Please feel free to correct me if these issues have been resolved.