Missing driver or something

JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
edited May 2008 in Hardware
Hi.

Recently, I got some sort of virus or something. I thought I got rid of it yesterday, but was proven wrong yesterday evening. I set the machine to scan while I was sleeping. When I woke up this morning, avast! had found something and "healed" (deleted) the file(s). I rebooted, happy that my computer was seemingly virus free, but was quickly brought back down to earth, when my computer bluescreened just before the log on window appeared. The error message was something with driver being unloaded before something, I didn't get a very good look at it. The file/driver in question is sftplaylh.sys. I am now in safemode, where everything is normal. I tried reinstalling any drivers (video/audio/ethernet/others/) but I can't since I'm in safemode. My next step was to do a system restore, but there doesn't seem to be any restore points, even if I made one some time back. Yeah, I know I'm not that prepared for something like this...

So, what's the next step? Repair install?
I'm on Vista Enterprise.
Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Jelly-BeanJelly-Bean Swansea,WALES,UK
    edited May 2008
    Hi you are running vista?

Was this preinstalled when you bought the computer?
    Or do you have the Vista DVD?

You need to do one of the following to use system restore.You need to have the DVD or use second option and you need to burn to DVD as an ISO file so you can sort your pc out.

<TABLE class=numberedList cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD onkeypress=this.parentElement.click(); style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; CURSOR: pointer" tabIndex=0>To restore using a Windows installation disc

</TD></TR><TR class=collapse id=eCEOB vAlign=top><TD class=dropCapQ noWrap align=right></TD><TD><TABLE class=tiba name="tiba"><TBODY><TR style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f00 1px inset"><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" colSpan=2>Use this method if your computer came with a Windows installation disc.
    </TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f00 1px inset"><TD class=pageNumber>1. </TD><TD class=pageNumberListContent style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" width="100%">Insert the installation disc, and then restart your computer by clicking the Start button GetOpenContent.aspx?assetID=4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33&DocumentSet=en-US&RenderKey=XML, clicking the arrow next to the Lock button GetOpenContent.aspx?assetID=eb058ccf-b21e-4dfe-9bb7-1ad6c83b705c&DocumentSet=en-US&RenderKey=XML, and then clicking Restart.
    If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, see Start Windows from a CD or DVD for instructions about how to do this.
    </TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f00 1px inset"><TD class=pageNumber>2. </TD><TD class=pageNumberListContent style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" width="100%">Press any key when prompted to do so.
    </TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f00 1px inset"><TD class=pageNumber>3. </TD><TD class=pageNumberListContent style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" width="100%">Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
    </TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f00 1px inset"><TD class=pageNumber>4. </TD><TD class=pageNumberListContent style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" width="100%">Click Repair your computer.
    </TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f00 1px inset"><TD class=pageNumber>5. </TD><TD class=pageNumberListContent style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" width="100%">Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    <TABLE class=sidebarContent cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alertContent vAlign=top>NoteIf you are restoring a 64-bit system using a 32-bit Complete PC backup or a 32-bit system using a 64-bit Complete PC backup and have more than one operating system installed, you should not select an operating system. If an operating system is selected by default, clear the selection by clicking a blank area of the window, and then click Next.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f00 1px inset"><TD class=pageNumber>6. </TD><TD class=pageNumberListContent style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" width="100%">On the System Recovery Options menu, click Windows Complete PC Restore, and then follow the instructions.
    <TABLE class=sidebarContent cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alertContent vAlign=top>NoteInsert the last CD or DVD of the backup set when prompted to do so.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=numberedList cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=dropCapQ style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; CURSOR: pointer" noWrap align=left>gl_arrow_down_static.gif</TD><TD onkeypress=this.parentElement.click(); style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; CURSOR: pointer" tabIndex=0>To restore using pre-installed recovery options

</TD></TR><TR class=collapse id=eCEDE vAlign=top><TD class=dropCapQ noWrap align=right></TD><TD><TABLE class=tiba name="tiba"><TBODY><TR style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f00 1px inset"><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" colSpan=2>If your computer did not come with a Windows installation disc, use this method.
    </TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f00 1px inset"><TD class=pageNumber>1. </TD><TD class=pageNumberListContent style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" width="100%">Restart your computer.
    Click the Start button GetOpenContent.aspx?assetID=4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33&DocumentSet=en-US&RenderKey=XML, click the arrow next to the Lock button GetOpenContent.aspx?assetID=eb058ccf-b21e-4dfe-9bb7-1ad6c83b705c&DocumentSet=en-US&RenderKey=XML, and then click Restart.
    </TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f00 1px inset"><TD class=pageNumber>2. </TD><TD class=pageNumberListContent style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" width="100%">Do one of the following:
    <TABLE class=listTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=listBullet style="FONT-SIZE: 80%">•</TD><TD class=listItem>If your computer has only one operating system installed, repeatedly press the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again.
    </TD></TR><TR><TD class=listBullet style="FONT-SIZE: 80%">•</TD><TD class=listItem>If your computer has more than one operating system installed, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to start, and then press F8.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f00 1px inset"><TD class=pageNumber>3. </TD><TD class=pageNumberListContent style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" width="100%">On the Advanced Boot Options menu, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press ENTER.
    </TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f00 1px inset"><TD class=pageNumber>4. </TD><TD class=pageNumberListContent style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" width="100%">Select a keyboard layout, and then click Next.
    </TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f00 1px inset"><TD class=pageNumber>5. </TD><TD class=pageNumberListContent style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" width="100%">Select a user name and type the password, and then click OK.
    </TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: #f00 1px inset; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f00 1px inset"><TD class=pageNumber>6. </TD><TD class=pageNumberListContent style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" width="100%">On the System Recovery Options menu, click Windows Complete PC Restore, and then follow the instructions.
    <TABLE class=sidebarContent cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alertContent vAlign=top>NoteInsert the last CD or DVD of the backup set when prompted to do so.

Once you have say burned the disk set first boot to DVD rom in BIOS/Setup put in DVD save and exit F10.Follow the instructions to repair or restore etc.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I do have a disc, but it says it will destroy all data. Will your method keep them? I'm only interested in a repair install, not a complete reformat...
    edited May 2008
    Put in the disk once set first boot device to DVD.
    etc.

Once running choose system repair or system restore.I did state that at end of instructions.

It was more posted on getting the recovery for burning to disk if you did not own the DVD.

Sorry I should of been more clearer on the instructions it gives you other choices there as in system restore/repair/command prompt.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Well, sort of a ****ed up situation right now... Seems the Vista disc I had didn't have a repair option.. It went right to the reformat and reinstall process, didn't give me a prompt or anything.. So, now, I'm on a fresh install off Vista. I do have backups of the most important stuff somewhere, but a lot of data has been lost:(
    Wellwell, guess I'll have to start fresh again.. Anyways, thanks for the help, even if the result didn't come out as expected:)
    edited May 2008
    You have ALL your files there they are not lost.

Open computer and then double click C drive and you will see windows.old your files are all located there.

Just open up and search and move back to your new folders.

Great thing Vista stores your files on windows.old ?