Ps3 Hates the sun.

Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
edited May 2008 in Folding@Home
So uh. Apparently the PS3 isn't bulletproof or anything of the sort. Abhors ambient temperatures over 93 degrees. Sad thing is I haven't even had it for two weeks before it just decided to overheat. So uh. I hope it's not hurt or anything, but it's out of commission until I understand the temperature tolerances for it. Sorry about the short time. Shows lack of commitment, but I'm pretty sure you'll understand.

Ok you know what....I really need to just read stuff instead of posting then reading stuff. God I'm such a dumbass. Disregard that, I suck cocks.

Comments

• HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I was under the impression PS3s were expensive riot shields with a controller port. I don't know much about consoles to be fair though :tongue: the price and public slagging off of the PS3 has put me off it, Halo 3 and xbox live retards have put me off the 360 and totally funky, just-because-I-can controls for the Wii have put me off that as well.

All hail the PC.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Harudath wrote:
    I was under the impression PS3s were expensive riot shields with a controller port.

All hail the PC.

QFT x2
    edited May 2008
    Lol. I checked back on this post, and the advert is a banner about a free PS3.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    That's interesting to note, YAD. My PS3 gets pretty damned hot because of lack of airflow in the cabinet its in, especially when folding, but I've never found the upper limit of that. Maybe you could set up a test to see exactly what ambient it craps out at during folding, that could be turned into a publishable article.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    you could also see what is the maximum caliber and velocity of a bullet it can protect against without penetrating

...or borrow your friends and test different models.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited May 2008
    Gate28 wrote:
    you could also see what is the maximum caliber and velocity of a bullet it can protect against without penetrating

...or borrow your friends and test different models.

Caliber and grainage. I can do that without even running the experiment. But on a serious note I'll just explain what happened. Right; well I'm downloading the Overlord Raising Hell demo right, well I start it up and bobs your uncle the graphics knock me off my socks, but right away I can tell something's gone pear shaped. I take one step and I get the same thing my X1900 did before I threw it out the window. Shader bleeding. Shadows bricking up everywhere, filling the screen. Not like clipping errors you know with the object streached, the only streached object I assume was the shadow of my minions to fill the screen. Well this is why I wished the PS3 had a R232 port so I could dump the memory from it. So I can see what the hell's going on in there. Well, I exit the game, and restart the console and smackola no problem. Right well I play it and decide on buying it. I go back to folding for a bit, knock off half of Supervillan 0930 I think? Anyway, I go to quit it because I've got some more movies ready for transfer, and the sodding thing locks up! Never returns to XMB. I had to hit the power switch. First time It's been off since I bought it really. I still believe that anything over 93F will have a negative effect on the PPC cores it packs. But then again it's got Nvidia graphics so I really don't expect solidarity from it, right? So that's the load. Now don't you feel sorry you asked?
    edited May 2008
    Don't IBM make the CPUs for these things? I also heard ATi made the graphics for games consoles, but I only heard that in rumour form. Sorry about your PS3 :-/ It's the latest in home-zombie protection.
  • RatBurger08RatBurger08 Corpus Christi, TX
    edited May 2008
    Xbox 360 = ATI custom
    PS3 = NVidia

Yeah, I honestly can't see ps3's being much more than bullet shields, unless they can come out with photon-array cooling or something totally new... you can barely cool 4 cores, so 8? maybe the world's biggest cooling fan isn't such a good idea... lol
    edited May 2008
    Well I'm getting thermal readings. Ambient is 95F, I'm getting 110F from the base and I'm guessing 120F on the inside. The PS3 uses a cell based on the PPC I think.
    edited May 2008
    I still don't understand why consoles aren't made with socketed processors, maybe it's the fear of competition.. idk... lol
    edited May 2008
    So some jerkoff can't take it appart, remove the processor then return it saying it didn't work. Also making it removable increases the overall space required to place the processor, increasing the bulk and including something that will melt when it gets hot. Another good reason is because it is just easier to solder the processor on, because adding more places for the processor to go through lengthens the latency, even if it's just a few milliseconds.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    So some jerkoff can't take it appart, remove the processor then return it saying it didn't work. Also making it removable increases the overall space required to place the processor, increasing the bulk and including something that will melt when it gets hot. Another good reason is because it is just easier to solder the processor on, because adding more places for the processor to go through lengthens the latency, even if it's just a few milliseconds.
    He's dead on... integrating a chip is much easier and cheaper than installing a socket. :thumbsup:
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited May 2008
    So some jerkoff can't take it appart, remove the processor then return it saying it didn't work.

Try opening up a ps3/xbox 360/wii/ps2/psp/xbox/gamecube/name_your_console, and return it even if its working. Stores won't take back an opened console.
    edited May 2008
    But in theory couldn't you just install a new processor? It's just reducing the chance that they can be modded I think, as well as the above
    edited May 2008
    On most console systems, the CPU and GPU are soldered directly into/onto the mainboard.
    edited May 2008
    I know, but I'm talking about the scenario in which they weren't soldered in
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited May 2008
    Not likely to happen- it's much cheaper to manufacture a unibody design of unified components- it requires far fewer assembly paths ... and the PS3 is remarkable in that regard.

Btw, the PS3 competes with my vacuum cleaner in picking up dust off the floor.
    edited May 2008
    Perhaps this explains the price? Two in One Console + Area sanitiser!
    edited May 2008
    VISTA ON PS3. DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE.

Have a nice day.
    edited May 2008
    lol....

I don't think vista could handle more than 4 cores, let alone 8... lol
    edited May 2008
    Visat CAN handle many, many cores
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I just have one question. Why is it 93 degrees ambient in your house? My room is 65-70 year round.
    edited May 2008
    That's texas for you :tongue:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Harudath wrote:
    That's texas for you :tongue:

It gets just as hot here. Not odd for it to be 105+ in june/july.
    edited May 2008
    105? That's a cool summer day for us. Try 129.
    edited May 2008
    129 is just the thermometer temperature, that's not including humidity at 100%... at least for coastal south texas... lol
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    But in regards to the problem, I am not sure at what point they do overheat but I know they do and have seen them. When I have had one lock on me it just hard locks and requires restart, always display models. However in asking around its because its not getting a good amount of ambient room air, if they get pre-heated air they want to try and lick their elbow forever...just stick a water cooler on it mang that will solve all your problems.
    edited May 2008
    that'd be awesome! watercooled ps3, or a 360 (that's not a laptop) lol

You know how much lighter the ps3'd be if it was watercooled? that's like a 20lb fan gone... O.o

You might have to make your own custom radiator though... idk if they make them shaped like a ps3.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    well you can actually find 360 watercooled systems on frozencpu.com
    edited May 2008
    And now my folding is is miraculously broken. Gee. What else can go wrong?