upgrading my asus g1s gaming laptop ram

edited June 2008 in Hardware
i'm going to upgrade my G1S Gaming Series Laptop from 2 GB to 4 GB... now this may be a dumb question but better be sure than sorry...

does all laptops only use 200pin SODIMM modules?

I know desktops use 240pins and others...

I'm not sure what type my Laptop uses... at the moment its using two modules of GDDRII 667 1GB 64X8 1.8V EP

should i be buying the DDR2 200pin SODIMM modules?

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited May 2008
    GDDR is graphics memory.
  • edited May 2008
    GDDR is graphics memory.

i did read in alot of places that GDDR is for graphics but thats what the label is on the memory modules...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Then it's wrong.

Buy SODIMMs.
  • edited May 2008
    ok... anyhow i'm pretty sure its DDRII 667... i'm just unsure if its 240 or 200pins although only 200pins come in SODIMM
    edited May 2008
    Then I don't see the problem. If you need laptop memory (SODIMMS) Then get them.
  • edited May 2008
    well i just wanted someone to confirm with me that those are the correct modules i should get.... thanks for helping guys...
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Look on www.crucial.com , the memory chip maker. They have a calculator where you put in your computer make and model and all that, and it tells you exactly what RAM chip and style and # of pins will work in your laptop.

EDIT - I looked for you, and it says 200 pin SODIMMs. But go look for it yourself. A 4 GB kit is $105.
  • edited May 2008
    i have installed the crucial tool and it only provide the speed clock and amount of ram my laptop has.... nothing on pin number...
    edited June 2008
    Then open your laptop up and count the pins on the sticks.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Just go buy DDR2 SODIMMS in the speed you want. Done.