0xC0000005 Dilema

edited May 2008 in Hardware
Good afternoon Chaps,

As you can see I have just signed up to this forum, I found it after sticking 0xC0000005 into Google, I am unfortunately in quite a quandary and I desperately need your help.

I know it is perhaps frowned upon to request help in a new thread without really lurking before hand so I apologise in advanced and throw myself at the mercy of our benevolent admins, anyway, to my problem.

Due to a computer at my dads work shorting from what I believe was the connection from the front 2 USB and an Audio out sockets, It's a nasty old Dell Dimension 2400, seriously a small part of the board where the lead from the front sockets plug in to the motherboard has been carbonised.

So I've taken out the HDD and put it into his PC an ACER M5100 I believe, bit of a fiddle and it's in, great it recognises it and all the right data seems to be there, the problem is my dad runs a car bodyshop and uses an ancient peice of software called Bodymaster to do his Estimates and Invoices. Ofcourse it doesn't work with Vista, No Problem, just use the Dell HDD and unplug the other when he needs to do an estimate, except I get a BSOD when XP gets to the loading screen with the error codes 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xBA258750, 0xBA4E7430, 0xBA4E712c). It boots up in Safe Mode that much is good, gives me hope the situation isn't utterly dire.

This I'm afraid goes well beyond my rudimentary knowledge of PC's and as it's vital my dad has a computer to work on this is a definite emergency and I'm asking for any help you can give me.

I'm going to continue Google-lng and try and expand my knowledge.

Pete.

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Well, the Windows error info for 0x0000007E is:
    This issue may occur if a system thread generates an exception that the error handler does not catch. You receive this error message if one or more of the following conditions are true:
    • If this issue occurs after the first restart during Windows Setup, or after the Setup program is finished, the computer may not have sufficient hard disk space to run Windows.
    • If this issue occurs after the first restart during Windows Setup, or after Setup is complete, the computer BIOS may be incompatible with Windows.
    • Incompatible video adapter drivers.
    • A damaged device driver or system service.
    • If the issue is associated with the Win32k.sys file, it may be caused by a third-party remote control program.

Was there any text after the codes? an error message separated by underscores?
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited May 2008
    Glaxor wrote:
    Due to a computer at my dads work shorting from what I believe was the connection from the front 2 USB and an Audio out sockets, It's a nasty old Dell Dimension 2400, seriously a small part of the board where the lead from the front sockets plug in to the motherboard has been carbonised.

So I've taken out the HDD and put it into his PC an ACER M5100 I believe, bit of a fiddle and it's in, great it recognises it and all the right data seems to be there, the problem is my dad runs a car bodyshop and uses an ancient peice of software called Bodymaster to do his Estimates and Invoices. Ofcourse it doesn't work with Vista, No Problem, just use the Dell HDD and unplug the other when he needs to do an estimate, except I get a BSOD when XP gets to the loading screen with the error codes 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xBA258750, 0xBA4E7430, 0xBA4E712c). It boots up in Safe Mode that much is good, gives me hope the situation isn't utterly dire.

Let me get this straight: Are you trying to use the drive from the Dell 2400 to run the ACER M5100?

If so, that error code would be about what i'd expect from hardware driver incompatibility.

Honestly, I'd first copy off the critical data from that drive onto the Vista machine so that it is not lost. I'd then find a machine that can run his program and use the drive from the Dell only as an add-on.

Btw- Welcome to Icrontic.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    There is a possibility that you could run the second HD within VMWare as a virtual machine but probably too advanced for most.

The only other option is to uninstall all the system drivers and try to install new XP drivers for the Acer on the Dell hard drive. That may help....
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited May 2008
    QCH2002 wrote:
    There is a possibility that you could run the second HD within VMWare as a virtual machine but probably too advanced for most.
    Yes, you are correct. He could also try a repair operation as well. I do believe in either case he would still need drivers. He at least needs an XP disk (retail I think) to do a repair and I'm not so sure Dell (you may know) would provide one for this?

In any case, I think he puts the drive at risk and needs to copy off/backup first.