Computer rebooting problem, scared to turn my PC off now.

edited May 2008 in Hardware
This is my first time posting on these forums but it's the first thing I found to turn to. I recently installed a program to help speed up gaming and I'm worrying it is the culprit to my problem. (It could be coincidental though I suppose.) The program is called GameBoost. After installing it, and using it for the first time, it prompted me to restart my computer, which I clicked okay for it to go ahead and restart. The problem was, it didn't restart. It started to, but after getting to the Windows XP logo my computer turned itself back off. I tried turning it back on, the same thing happened. I went through a series of things trying to get it to turn back on. I unplugged the power, plugged it back in, turned the power switch on the back of the PC on and off, unplugged my keyboard, mouse, speakers, internet, basically everything out of the back of the PC except for the power cord and the monitor, but each time I did something new it would just get to the Windows XP logo and turn back off. I plugged everything back in, and just tried turning it on like 30 times. A couple of the times it would bring up the screen letting me choose whether or not to enter safe mode, or start windows normal, or revert back to the settings that last worked. I tried every one of those options and always got the same result. At one point I saw the welcome screen and my mouse come up briefly but it turned right back off. Eventually out of frustration I opened up the case to the PC although I hadn't a clue of what I was looking at once I was inside. I dug some dust out of the PC, and decided to try one last time with the case off and propped up really close next to it (because there's wires connecting the two). It turned on! I immediately searched for any known problems with GameBoost to cause this but I couldn't find any weird problems like this. Now I'm just scared to turn my PC off, that it will start happening again. I had never had this problem before until I used the GameBoost program, but I dunno, maybe it would have done this when I had chosen to restart/shut down myself without using that program. I don't know very much about computers but this is what it says I have when I right click My Computer and click properties. I don't know if whoever can tell me what happened will need this or not but I thought I should say just in case.

System:

Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Computer:
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+
1.66 GHz, 512 MB of RAM

Here's what it says about GameBoost too if that information is also needed.

GameBoost Overview

The all-new GameBoost 1 sets the standard for PC and internet optimizing software. Based off of our GameGain and Throttle products; GameBoost increases overall speed and squeezes out every last bit of performance your computer and internet connection is capable of. Very easy to use, fully compliant with all versions of Microsoft Windows and adjusts itself to your computer specifications. Take your existing PC and internet connection to new levels to run games faster. Bring your gaming to the next level.

GameBoost Details and Features

Makes direct changes to system registry and system files to enhance memory, screen drawing, animations, refresh rates, cpu threading speeds, internet speed.

Automatically adjusts settings and changes made based on computer and internet specifications, complete fault tolerance system implemented.

Deep system analyzer and diagnostic features which attempt to find and repair any potential problems with the computer affecting its performance.

Advanced software based over-clocking features to enhance memory, cpu priorities and internet connection.

Any help you can give me will be appreciated so much. I don't want to leave my PC on all night but I'm just scared if I turn it off it'll never turn back on again. :confused:

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited May 2008
    Uh, what exactly did you tell the software to do?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2008
    It's entirely possible that it's tweaked a setting out of an operating range that your computer is happy with. If your computers running at the moment I'd suggest you uninstall that program, more often then not they don't actually do all that much, or at least it's seldom really noticeable.

It could also just be a coincidence. You may have failing ram or some corrupt files. I'd suggest getting a copy of memtest86 and running that for a good hour. You should also do a chkdsk /r because that many consecutive reboots can screw up your system files also.
  • edited May 2008
    The problem has been fixed, thank you for replying and offering help. I got my dad to take a look at it because he knows more about PCs than me, and he found out it was overheating and turning off because of it. He did some stuff too it, not really sure what, but it isn't turning off anymore so I'm happy. Thank you again for your help. :)