Whatever happened to RSS ?

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited June 2008 in Internet & Media
Until about a year ago, I was hearing a lot about RSS, and RSS feeds for sending audio and video over the internet. People were pimping it all over the place.

I even had people trying to get me to put an RSS feed on my website, www.loudmouthtim.com , so people could RSS my webshow, "Online Video".

I always thought RSS was a big bunch of BS. I felt that if people were too lazy to do a couple mouse clicks and view my show via its normal Windows Media Player downloadable .wmv files, then they obviously didn't want to watch my show very badly.

But I haven't heard much about RSS for a while now.

What's up with it? Was it just another fad that came and went? I hope so.

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    RSS is commonplace now so no one really talks about it much. Most decent sites that add new content frequently have a RSS feed that can be used to notify users when the site updates. I use RSS to track all my webcomics through one easy interface. I guess you could include download links in your feed but what I usually see is stuff like "[date][time] Comic xyz has been posted to the site. Click here to view it." Convenient.

-drasnor :fold:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    RSS is very common and almost ubiquitous now, that's probably why you don't "hear" about it anymore. It's everywhere. I couldn't live without it. I track all my newsfeeds through Google Reader.
  • edited June 2008
    I gave it a shot.. But figured I didn't need it. Digg is sufficient.