SP3 Vs. Arial Black

RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
edited July 2010 in Internet & Media
Hi All,

Ran into a odd problem after installing SP3 here at work.

I was working on the new website design for the schools and the district, and noticed ALL the pages that had Arial Black fonts had become Arial Black Italized!! :confused:

It all has to do with MS putting out a new Arial Black version (2.40) with SP3. Luckily, the fix for this is easy.

Create a restore point (not 100% necessary, but never hurts either)

Go to C:\WINDOWS\Fonts folder and delete the Arial Black file. (ariblk.ttf ver. 2.40)

Now go to C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$ and find ariblk.ttf (ver 2.35) copy it and paste it into the C:\WINDOWS\Fonts folder.

You should now have a normal Arial Black, and the italized button will work when you want it to!

R

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for the info, RADA! Front page news :)
  • edited June 2008
    Thank you. This problem cropped up on one of the PC's I maintain, management of course. Font looked fine in Word, Notepad, and as the font used to view what email he had but not in when penning a email or being recieved by a user.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Welcome to icrontic, whistler :)
  • edited August 2008
    RADA wrote:
    Hi All,

I was working on the new website design for the schools and the district, and noticed ALL the pages that had Arial Black fonts had become Arial Black Italized!! :confused:

It all has to do with MS putting out a new Arial Black version (2.40) with SP3. Luckily, the fix for this is easy.

Go to C:\WINDOWS\Fonts folder and delete the Arial Black file. (ariblk.ttf ver. 2.40)

Now go to C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$ and find ariblk.ttf (ver 2.35) copy it and paste it into the C:\WINDOWS\Fonts folder.

You should now have a normal Arial Black, and the italized button will work when you want it to!

R
  • edited August 2008
    RADA... You saved me a big headache and, no doubt, a bunch of lost time on the italics problem! An added note that may help others: I'm running XP Pro here, and it turns out that the $NTServicePackUninstall$ was in the C:\WINNT folder, rather than in the C:\WINDOWS folder. I copied the good old reliable ariblk.ttf file from there, deleted the faulty one that had been installed in C:\WINNT\Fonts by SP3, then pasted the good one in to replace that. Great job, RADA, and thanks again for taking your time to share the fix with me and others who may have found themselves bamboozled by this!
  • edited February 2009
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, works like a charm. God I wish I found you days ago. So simple a fix, and only you had it.

Thanks again

RADA wrote:
    Hi All,

R
  • CassieKCassieK Chicago
    edited February 2009
    RADA wrote:
    Hi All,

R

I was ecstatic to find this solution. The rest of the marketing department and I were frustrated when we ran into this and our IT department said they didn't know why it was doing that and never got back to us. I found this solution, fixed my computer and my collegues' and told IT. My IT department chastised me and is telling me that the SP3 version is how Arial Black is SUPPOSED to look, and now I'm out of date. I think they're mistaken, because Arial Black was showing up correctly in Word, but in Italics in PowerPoint and LotusNotes (our e-mail system).:confused2

Does anyone know if Microsoft intended to make Arial Black an italic? I couldn't find anything about the topic in Microsoft's online support. The closest I came was a problem where making Arial Black bold put it in italics. Why someone would make a black font bold is a whole other issue. :wink:

Any information would be much appreciated.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited February 2009
    CassieK wrote:
    I was ecstatic to find this solution. The rest of the marketing department and I were frustrated when we ran into this and our IT department said they didn't know why it was doing that and never got back to us. I found this solution, fixed my computer and my collegues' and told IT. My IT department chastised me and is telling me that the SP3 version is how Arial Black is SUPPOSED to look, and now I'm out of date. I think they're mistaken, because Arial Black was showing up correctly in Word, but in Italics in PowerPoint and LotusNotes (our e-mail system).:confused2

Does anyone know if Microsoft intended to make Arial Black an italic? I couldn't find anything about the topic in Microsoft's online support. The closest I came was a problem where making Arial Black bold put it in italics. Why someone would make a black font bold is a whole other issue. :wink:

Any information would be much appreciated.

Hello Cassie, welcome to IC.

MS did not intend to make Arial Black permanently italic - It would be called Arial Black Italic if that were the case. Somebody at MS gave it the wrong font name. This is a glitch, but such a minor one, that they will probably never do anything about it.

Between you and me, your IT dept didn't have a solution and is trying to save face by stating your PC is now out of date. This is a font, not a security patch. It's no different than if you installed a group of fonts from the web, or another application..
  • CassieKCassieK Chicago
    edited February 2009
    RADA wrote:
    Hello Cassie, welcome to IC.

MS did not intend to make Arial Black permanently italic - It would be called Arial Black Italic if that were the case. Somebody at MS gave it the wrong font name. This is a glitch, but such a minor one, that they will probably never do anything about it.

Between you and me, your IT dept didn't have a solution and is trying to save face by stating your PC is now out of date. This is a font, not a security patch. It's no different than if you installed a group of fonts from the web, or another application..

That's what I figured. Arial Black Italic is a font, so it doesn't make any sense to just switch Arial Black and keep the other. I wish Microsoft would address this, but at least I know I was right. :smiles:
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    CassieK wrote:
    at least I know I was right. :smiles:
    That is all that matters most days :D

Welcome to IC :wave:
  • nithaelnithael Brazil
    edited May 2009
    Hey, people! Sorry for bringing such an old topic up.

I have problem with Arial..

I'll post here a screenshot with HOW it is displayed to me this font, and maybe someone can help me out on this:

arial.png

Sorry for the bad english and I hope someone can help me soon! :)
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited May 2009
    Hello Nithael, welcome to Icrontic,

Not sure what you're trying to show us here....
  • nithaelnithael Brazil
    edited May 2009
    I'm trying to show how my font ARIAL is being displayed, when rendering HTML, and trying to get a solution for that..

look at the "username", "password" and "Not logged in!" text.. It's really weird!

Thanks! ;)
  • heffevunaheffevuna Portland, Oregon
    edited July 2009
    Is there any other fixes for this problem? I don't have two versions of the ttf on my system, and I don't have the folder. I've done a pretty thorough search on my system. I'm trying to finish a technical manual and keep getting the annoying Arial Black message problem.

I do have SP3 installed, and I have Windows XP, but not Office 2007. The program that's giving me grief is Framemaker 7.2.

RADA wrote:

R
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Download this font and install it on your system.
  • edited September 2009
    Microsoft has now documented this here, and there is a hotfix available.
  • edited July 2010
    The rendering of the font Arial Black in HTML docs became errant after
    installing SP3. It renders always in Italic, unless you specify a font-weight
    over 800 (!!) in a stylesheet.
    I have created a very simple webpage (with an inline stylesheet) to show the
    problem This problem shows in IE7 and all programs that use the HTML rendering based
    on IE7, like my RSS-reader Greatnews. I have no idea how Firefox etc render
    the HTML pages, with SP3 installed.
    The font Arial Black shows correctly in non-HTML-based programs, like MS Word.
    STAR SAU:eek3::eek3: