Windows 7?

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited June 2008 in Science & Tech
I was listening to the radio last night and they were talking about the next Windows version, Windows 7. Some guy from Microsoft, Bill somebody, Mates I think, was saying how Vista was never the operating system he wanted but 7 would be right.
This ring any bells?

Comments

• HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    I've heard something like that too, Mr. Bates or something... Anyway, I heard Vista wasn't what he had planned when he was talking about his Revolutionary OS. There's hope for microsoft yet!

(:skeptic:)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    It's still supar sekrat. There are about two dozen screenshots floating around the internet. It looks a lot like Vista. The release date is set for 2009 or 2010, and it's currently in version "M1" which is the first installable and usable version. It's pre-pre-pre-alpha.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2008
    Windows 7 has been ditching features left right and center. It, like vista actually started out as a fantastic idea but now it's being butchered again to meet a time line.

It was originally supposed to have their brand spanking new micro kernel with everything being built on modules ontop of it. But they decided they don't have enough time to develop it so it's using the Vista kernel instead. That's the biggest slap in the face so far. But on top of that, most of the features they are introducing are - iphone rip offs, like multi-point touch screens and that sort of thing. I had high hopes but now they are being dashed.

I still think it'll be better then Vista in almost every regard and I'll stick with XP until 7 comes out. But it's turning out to be just another upgrade OS in the windows line and not something actually new.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2008
    I'd rather features be cut out, then to have a promise not delivered.

And a little poop. M1 of the Windows 7's kernel is based entirely off of the .net framework. Everything you use is compiled on-the-fly.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    I'd rather features be cut out, then to have a promise not delivered.

And a little poop. M1 of the Windows 7's kernel is based entirely off of the .net framework.

Qft. Although a simple, what-you-need interface is much preferable to one with features I don't need :tongue:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    I'd rather they put in what they promise and take as long as it needs to get it done.
  • edited June 2008
    so would I but they probably won't, hopeefully it doesnt come with vista problems, :(
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    I'd rather they put in what they promise and take as long as it needs to get it done.

Agreed. They NEED the new Kernel, they do not NEED another OS by 2009.