autorun.exe file on flash drive not working?

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited August 2008 in Hardware
I have a Kingston 2GB USB flash drive. It's always worked fine, but recently it started having a problem.

When I put it in a computer and click on it to show its files, I get a message saying Windows can't find the autorun.exe file. So it doesn't show its files.

If I right click on it (the flash drive's icon) and click on "open", it'll show the files and do everything normally.

So how can I fix or replace the autorun.exe file? I assume it came on the flash drive originally.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    No, it means the computer is screwed up and looking to autorun flash drives, but can't find the executable on your drive.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    I use this flash drive in several different computers, and the problem began all at once on all the computers.

All the computers somehow lost their autorun.exe file at the same time?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Does your drive use that U3 crap?
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    I don't know. It's a Kingston Datatraveler 2 GB. I've had it for about a year and it has always worked well.

Words / letters printed on the side of it are:

DTI/2GB
    CN021107 5v
    05360-310.AOOLF China

EDIT - Various reviews I've read on google about it say it has U3, but I've never seen any U3 stuff on this flash drive. Also, the reviews say the drive only comes with a silver colored case with orange plastic trim pieces. Mine has a white case with green plastic trim pieces.
  • edited June 2008
    I have the exact same problem on my Kingston 4gb and saw it happen. One day I plugged in my drive into someones computer and their antivirus software immediately identified autorun.exe as a virus and removed it. Ever since I can not double-click to open the drive. I can though, right-click and choose "Explore". If someone has a copy of this autorun.exe I would like to get a copy.
  • edited July 2008
    I have the exact same problem on my Kingston 4gb and saw it happen. One day I plugged in my drive into someones computer and their antivirus software immediately identified autorun.exe as a virus and removed it. Ever since I can not double-click to open the drive. I can though, right-click and choose "Explore". If someone has a copy of this autorun.exe I would like to get a copy.

I have just solved the same problem, the fix is to ensure that in Folder Options (in Control Panel) show hidden files & folders are shown and protected operating system files also.

Browse to your flash drive and delete the autorun.exe auto exec and io files also and bootex I think it is, once you've done that voila! all should be well again. You may want to hide your operating files & folders and protect system files again in folder options.
    HTH
  • edited August 2008
    Guys usually it happens because of an existing autorun.inf file... Which simply means it has a virus... Even if your existing anti-virus deleted the autorun.exe file (which is a virus) if it didn't delete the autorun.inf file it will still search for the autorun.exe file(or try to open it) when you try to double-click your flash drives. The autorun.inf file configures your drive to open autorun.exe file if you double click it. The best way to remove that would be to have your folder view set to view all hidden files and folders and also the system files because windows considers .inf files to be system files. After you set it, try to delete the autorun.inf file. Then remove the flash drive without safely plugging it out, just make sure it is not reading or you are not using the flash drive. Then just plug it again then try to double click it again and it will successfully work...