mix of sata and ide HDD ok ?

edited February 2009 in Hardware
Built new system...Everything working ok so far
System Config
Antec ATX 900 Midtower, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz LGA775, Xigmatek 120mm CPU Cooler, Corsair 750W PSU, 8GB G.Skill DDR2 800, Dual Seagate 7200.11 500GB SATA (no raid), GeForce 8800GTS(G92) 512mb, Asus 20x DVD Burner w/LS SATA, Acer 24" HDMI LCD, MS Vista 64 bit Ultimate SP1

I have a WD IDE drive from my old single drive XP system. I tried to install it as a slave drive on the IDE controller. Jumpered it to slave. Shows up correctly in BIOS but system will not boot OS, hangs before any OS messages. Disconnect the drive and the system boots ok.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    The BIOS is configured to boot IDE drives first.
  • DJ_EvergreenDJ_Evergreen MB, Canada Member
    edited June 2008
    If this drive is the only IDE device on your controller it would make more sense to set it up as master.
  • edited February 2009
    I have this same problem (SATA loading as Master/ IDE as Slave/Cable Select/Master) and NO its not loading the IDE first, I have set it to load the SATA...

It shows both in the Bios, and also at boot up it says SATA and IDE as Slave, yet once loaded it wont show in 'my puter'.... any more idea peoples?
    edited February 2009
    What happens when you go to start > run> type: diskmgmt.msc > hit: enter

Does it prompt you to initialize or format disk?
  • edited February 2009
    off to try this... results soon
  • edited February 2009
    top box are it shows...
    C:
    F: (patitioned c:drive)

But then underneath it shows...
    Disk 0 31.49GB (unallocated)
    Disk 1 298GB C:(55GB) and F:Storage(242GB)
    CD-ROM 0

the missing IDE is an 80GB
  • edited February 2009
    I just looked at the properties of the Disk o and see that it is the Samsung 80GB. not sure what to do next :) maybe load patition magic and allocate it.... I dont want to lose the information that is on it thats all...
    edited February 2009
    Can you post a screenshot of that window for me? :) And are you saying there's actually information on this disk that cannot be read?
  • edited February 2009
    saying there is information on it that i dont want to lose, but that it is showing only as 31.49GB when it is an 80GB
    edited February 2009
    It sounds like you have a drive with a funked up partition. All the files are still there, but the little index that tells Windows where everything is seems to have gone batshit crazy.

Here's a tutorial that will guide you through data recovery.
  • edited February 2009
    im thinking you are right.. I just loaded Paragon Hard Disk Manger and if im reading the results right its saying 31.4GB Allocated and 31.4GB Unallocated... wierd as I thought it was pretty much full and seems one is empty (free). I think I used Patition Magic to split my drives so looking for that to install and see what it can find or fix...

I'll look through your link though, so many thanks for the help so far.
  • edited February 2009
    I had a similar problem when on a new computer which came with a DVD writer (IDE) and a HDD (SATA) I wanted to add a new 500GB IDE HD. I had bought the disk to install it on an existing old desktop with only PATA interfaces, but the motherboard died and I bought the cheap new computer and tried to install the new HD. Well it turned out to be painful, as in your case the disk was recognized (disk management in XP Pro) but no information on the size and impossible to format from Windows. I found out, by accident, that to be allocated by Windows the disk had to be partitioned first. I did it with Partition Magic and it worked (it was brand new so I did not have to worry about losing any data, which may happen with PM.)
  • edited February 2009
    :( well ive run it with PM and still no luck... still wont show complete size either. tried to allocate the unallocated, thinking it is probably the empty part of the drive but the format failed and it is only 7GB from the 80GB. thinking about buying a desk top USB HDD Port/hub and seeing what that will do.
  • edited February 2009
    I did it the following way: I had 2 computers, the desktop where I wanted to add the 500GB IDE HD drive and a laptop. I installed the 500GB HDD into an USB 2.0 Enclosure which I then connected to the laptop (the disk management on the laptop also recognized but did not allocate the HDD.) I used Partition Magic 8.0 on the laptop and partitionned (and formatted) the HD. After that it was recognized on the laptop with the right size and later on on the desktop when I installed it internally on the IDE.
    What did surprise me was that apparently Windows would not recognize/allocate a brand new drive until it is partitionned (the HDD was an OEM bought at NewEgg) and I had not read about that.
    Now to answer your question, external HDDs work well. The negative points are: 1) performance compared to IDE or SATA internal disks with the same specs and 2) more importantly in my mind: reliability. Inside the case, the disks are somewhat cooled by airflow, inside most enclosures there is no airflow and everything will heat (the electronics and the disk) and eventually fail. I use external HD mainly for backup or temporary storage and I always manage to power them off when I do not need them.
    Hope this helps...
    BTW, I had problems connecting the HDD on the IDE where there was already a DVD writer, but I think it was due to the mobo on this computer...it now kind of works...
  • SimonGSimonG uk New
    edited February 2009
    Does your BIOS recognise IDE disks over the 30Gb limit?
    Have to tried to boot with only the IDE drive in, what is seen then?
    If whole disk is shown, but only #30G when machine has both SATA and IDE, check for BIOS update.
    Alt
    If the only reason you want to mount this disk is to access its data, have you a IDE to usb converter - run it up via usb and take off your data this way. (Or mount it in an external usb caddy, take off data, then you have a back-up drive).