MSCONFIG Windows XP Help

edited June 2008 in Hardware
I made the mistake of running MSCONFIG on Windows XP and it removed all my prionter drivers, willo not recognize USB, passwords to email are gone. It removed all the old dates I could use in system restore to bring it back.

If I go to add a printer it says "Operation could not be completed. The print service spooler is not running."

When I double click on Trend Micro to open it, the start up appears briefly and then disapears.

There is no hardware associated with the sounds and audio devices.

Everytime I open up Outlook I have to enter my passwords even though I check to remember them.

Can someone help me with a solution to get my system back in order so I can at least print and use the speakers?

Thansk,

brt007

Comments

• adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    For starters, you might try this:

Have your XP CD handy or go ahead and put it in your ROM drive but cancel it when it starts to autorun. Go to START, RUN and in the box that appears, copy and paste the following EXACTLY: sfc /scannow

Then click "ok". System file checker should run and restore missing or changed Windows files. Once this is done, and upon reboot, you may now find your hardware detected but drivers not installed. At this point you may be able to reinstall drivers from the OEM CD or other resource you choose. However, once this process is done, you must run Windows Update as hotfixes and service paks are likely to be gone.

This may get you back in the ball park to then reinstall/reconfigure hardware hosed by msconfig. If not, you may have to do a Windows repair install. GL!
  • edited June 2008
    Adarryl,

Thanks for the help.

I ran the sfc /scannow and it completed with no status report, it just closed. Is that normal? I did not have the XP CD in the drive. Does it have to be in the drive?

Thanks,

Brt007

adarryl wrote:
    For starters, you might try this:

Have your XP CD handy or go ahead and put it in your ROM drive but cancel it when it starts to autorun. Go to START, RUN and in the box that appears, copy and paste the following EXACTLY: sfc /scannow

Then click "ok". System file checker should run and restore missing or changed Windows files. Once this is done, and upon reboot, you may now find your hardware detected but drivers not installed. At this point you may be able to reinstall drivers from the OEM CD or other resource you choose. However, once this process is done, you must run Windows Update as hotfixes and service paks are likely to be gone.

This may get you back in the ball park to then reinstall/reconfigure hardware hosed by msconfig. If not, you may have to do a Windows repair install. GL!
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    No, no 'status report' with scannow. It just silently finishes. Sometimes it requires the Windows CD to repair files; sometimes not. It would have prompted you if it needed the CD. Now be sure to run Windows Update in case any files were changed. Then, try a reboot and see if Windows detects any "new hardware" or wants to install drivers. If it does, you can take it from there to find drivers you need. If not, you may be looking at a WinXP repair install or possibly a format to get back to normal. However, also launch msconfig and with the "General" tab selected, click on "normal startup-load all device drivers and services," APPLY and exit. As far as your printer goes, try Start, Run, services.msc and look for "print spooler" (also known as spoolsv.exe in Task Manager) in the list. That would be your printer spool service. See that it is "started." If not, right mouse click on "print spooler," select "properties," and check "startup type." Use the drop down to select "automatic" if it is not enabled. GL!
  • edited June 2008
    I went to do Windows Update and it cannot do them.

This is the message from microsoft site:

<TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=20></TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%">The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is not running:</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Followed the instructions below from microsoft website: but can't get past step 3. I get this message: "Configuration Manager: The plug and play service or another required service is not available."
    • Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install high-priority updates for your computer)
    • Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
    • Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with troubleshooting, if needed)
    To make sure these services are running:
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
    3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click Properties.
    4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
    5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
    6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
    7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
    8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
    9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click Properties.
    10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
    11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
    edited June 2008
    Ok, and did you check 'plug and play' service through services.msc to see if you can enable it? Do so if you haven't. Enable it just like MS said or like I said in my instructions for enabling 'print spooler.' Have you checked Event Viewer like MS said? Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, System to see what errors you might be getting at this point? Also, did you try what I said above: *launch msconfig and with the "General" tab selected, click on "normal startup-load all device drivers and services," APPLY and exit.*

If you don't get anywhere, you may be looking at a repair install of Windows unless someone else comes along with other ideas. GL!
  • edited June 2008
    adaryll,

Thank you for your help on this.

>Ok, and did you check 'plug and play' service through services.msc to >see if you can enable it? Do so if you haven't. Enable it just like MS said >or like I said in my instructions for enabling 'print spooler.'

Yes I did check "plug and play" and got the same message - "Configuration Manager: The plug and play service or another required service is not available."

>Have you checked Event Viewer like MS said? Control Panel, >Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, System to see what errors you might >be getting at this point?

Here is what are some of the errors in the log:

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:stockticker>DCOM</st1:stockticker> got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service winmgmt with arguments "" in order to run the server:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    {8BC3F05E-D86B-11D0-A075-00C04FB68820}
    <o:p> </o:p>
    <st1:stockticker>DCOM</st1:stockticker> got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service StiSvc with arguments "" in order to run the server:<o:p></o:p>
    {A1F4E726-8CF1-11D1-BF92-0060081ED811}
    <st1:stockticker>DCOM</st1:stockticker> got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service SENS with arguments "" in order to run the server:<o:p></o:p>
    {D3938AB0-5B9D-11D1-8DD2-00AA004ABD5E}
    <st1:stockticker>DCOM</st1:stockticker> got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service Norton Ghost with arguments "" in order to run the server:<o:p></o:p>
    {F3DC957F-00CA-4D2A-A9AD-03FA855AAE38}
    <st1:stockticker>DCOM</st1:stockticker> got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service SfCtlCom with arguments "" in order to run the server:<o:p></o:p>
    {1A65<st1:stockticker>BAB</st1:stockticker>7-30B1-4FB7-BC13-D00C28<st1:stockticker>FCF</st1:stockticker>605}

>Also, did you try what I said above: *launch msconfig and with the >"General" tab selected, click on "normal startup-load all device drivers >and services," APPLY and exit.*

Yes, this has been done and no difference noticed.

Let me know if you have any ideas after seeing the above error messages.

Thanks again,

brt007
    edited June 2008
    Well, like I said earlier, you may be looking at a WinXP repair install at this point. However, one more thing for giggles. Open msconfig again and click on the 'services' tab, then "enable all," apply and exit. This may or may not reinstate services that Windows needs to do its thing. If it does, you may be back in business with just a little discomfort. If it doesn't, I suspect a repair install or format and reinstall may be the ultimate fix. Hold off on a repair or format in case others in the forum have some better ideas for you.

Uh, I have resisted stating the obvious because I suspect you already know it by now: If you want to disable programs/services from running automatically, don't use msconfig; use services.msc or the preference settings that exist in software for hardware you install. Personally, I consider msconfig to be more of a hindrance than a help for tweaking a computer.

Hang in there, ANY computer problem can be fixed. It's just that the fixes sometimes are as annoying as the problem itself.
  • edited June 2008
    adarryl,

Thank you so much for your suggestions and persistence.

I sorted the services list and automatic was on top. I saw a bunch of automatics were disabled. I manually went in and check each one of them. Discovered I needed to click on a sercvices propertry, change the start up type, press apply and then press the start button. This was not so obvious. A certain sequence was needed on a couple of them. The firewall is still a problem but the main items I was in need of getting up and going are working now:)

Again, thank you so much for your help!

PS - Yes I do have a better appreciation of what msconfig can do and in the future I will not be so easily swayed into reading something on the internet and running it beofre I dig deeper into what I am doing.