Lost my main HDD!!! HELP

edited June 2008 in Hardware
I have hard drive with 2 partitions out of my pc. i put it in a external case and now i cant see it all. Ok so i took it out of my desktop because it would no longer boot the pc. I bought an external HD case and pluged it in and all i can see is 127gigs with windows folder on it. but there is a partition on it with all my files on it but i cant get the pc to see that. have tried few demo programs and it can see the files on there but i cant seem to recover them. what can i do to get those files back with out reformating the hard drive and losing everything. i am running windows xp pro. Hard drive is not dead. I put new drive in and reloaded xp on it. now i have taken the old drive and placed it in a case and just need to know how to get windows to see past the 127gig without deleting the partitions. i have also bought a program called active partition recovery but have no luck with that either. it can see all the files and it scanned the HDD files and sectors and says they are excelent. HELP HELP HELP!

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited June 2008
    Is your external enclosure using USB or e-SATA?

The 127GB problem is normally a BIOS limitation in a system and upgrading the BIOS can be the fix. It might be a chipset driver restriction as well- I'd run to the motherboard or system manufacturer for the latest drivers.
  • edited June 2008
    the encloser uses USB. as for the Bios i guess that could be but everything i have read it says that the 127gig thing is a windows XP thing. i have never had this problem in the past as far as the bios doing this.

Qeldroma wrote:
    Is your external enclosure using USB or e-SATA?

The 127GB problem is normally a BIOS limitation in a system and upgrading the BIOS can be the fix. It might be a chipset driver restriction as well- I'd run to the motherboard or system manufacturer for the latest drivers.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    dwibbleson wrote:
    the encloser uses USB. as for the Bios i guess that could be but everything i have read it says that the 127gig thing is a windows XP thing. i have never had this problem in the past as far as the bios doing this.
    Make sure the firmware in your enclosure is up to date as well.
    Recovery software is rarely (if ever) free. The demo versions usually don't allow recovery of files. I don't have any experience with Active Partition Recovery so I can't help you there. I do know that Restorer2000 Pro has recovered more files and partitions than I care to think about.
  • edited June 2008
    Hmmm ok if i get this program you able to help with advice on how to do it? i am pretty savy but may need some guidance. thanks oh and is the pro the way to go or the normal!

mertesn wrote:
    Make sure the firmware in your enclosure is up to date as well.
    Recovery software is rarely (if ever) free. The demo versions usually don't allow recovery of files. I don't have any experience with Active Partition Recovery so I can't help you there. I do know that Restorer2000 Pro has recovered more files and partitions than I care to think about.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited June 2008
    dwibbleson wrote:
    ...everything i have read it says that the 127gig thing is a windows XP thing...

It hasn't been an XP problem for years- back to SP1. Most of the problems anymore have been in older PC components.

The Pro version is the most robust solution.