Problem with recently purchased laptop HDD

Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
edited June 2008 in Hardware
I have just bought a 120 gig Samsung laptop HDD to upgrade my old one with and it isn't recognised in BIOS or by any of the programs that I use to partition and format new drives (all are bootable CD's and usually recognise RAW drives). All I get is a message saying IDE#0 error. Also, if I plug it into my PC using an IDE adapter it stalls my start up and freezes on the opening screen - doesn't allow me to enter into BIOS at all. I have even tried installing XP in the hope that the HDD might be recognised and then formatted etc during installation but Windows installation reports "No harddrive found". Does this mean the obvious - that the HDD is dead or am I missing something? :confused:
The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A10........

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited June 2008
    Byron172 wrote:
    ...Does this mean the obvious - that the HDD is dead ........

I vote yes.

I assume you mean THIS drive. It should take to that notebook. I'd RMA it ASAP.

Also- if BIOS doesn't see it, XP (+more) won't.

Hope it works out-
  • Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for replying, I have arranged for the dead drive to go back to the supplier and hopefully will get a refund.

BTW what is "RMA"?
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited June 2008
    Byron172 wrote:
    Thanks for replying, I have arranged for the dead drive to go back to the supplier and hopefully will get a refund.

BTW what is "RMA"?

Return to Manufacturer Authorization. It basically means that you've contacted the maker or seller of the unit and they are satisfied that the item is defective and will exchange it with another one that (hopefully) works. An outfit like Newegg is great to deal with because they mostly RMA "no questions asked" within a specified period. However, most outfits do not "Advance RMA"- which is extremely desireable because it means they send you the replacement unit first and you can test it and send the defective unit back in the package the replacement one came in.
  • Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
    edited June 2008
    Ah, I see. Well the people I purchased from have said they will refund but I will probably lose out on the postage (both them to me and me to them). Oh well, such is life. Thanks again for your help.......:D