pci-e 2.0 6-pin to 8-pin adapter

digitaltreedigitaltree Suffern, NY
edited June 2008 in Hardware
Does anybody have a pinout for the 8-pin power connector on a PCI-e 2.0 card? I've been waiting for an adapter in the mail but I'm getting impatient and was just thinking about building my own. However, the Internet searches are not cooperating with me in finding the information about what rides along each pin (+12V or ground). I'd appreciate if somebody could provide this, for the 8-pin connector.

Thanks!

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    All you need to do is find a good picture of one where you can tell what colored wire goes to which pin. The yellow are 12v and the black are the grounds.
  • digitaltreedigitaltree Suffern, NY
    edited June 2008
    _k_ wrote:
    All you need to do is find a good picture of one where you can tell what colored wire goes to which pin. The yellow are 12v and the black are the grounds.

That's a lot harder than it sounds. All the pics I've found had sleeving. But I finally figured it out: the two extra pins on the 8-pin connector are grounds. So, all working, now.

Thanks, though.
  • digitaltreedigitaltree Suffern, NY
    edited June 2008
    Clip side (top) is your ground. Bottom side (label) is your power. Hold on. I'll get a picture.

Right; what I was looking for was what those two more pins on the side were. Where as with the 6-pin style, all the top is 12V and all the bottom is ground, the 8-pin style all the bottom is ground and the first 3 of the top are 12V with the 4th also a ground.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I was gonna make a super long post about that, but I decided it was really pointless, and deleted it.