Wifi Strength On Ubuntu

edited June 2008 in Hardware
So I installed the new ubuntu on my laptop earlier. It all works great and it got installed fine, but I am noticing a problem. From where I am sitting, I get a low signal strength with 11mpbs on xp pro. I boot into ubuntu (same computer) and it says the signal strength is to low to connect to. Anyone have any ideas on what could cause that? When I'm closer to the router the ubuntu works fine.

Comments

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    From what I recall reading on this when I had Suse 9 on my old HP lapper, certain wifi drivers enable a sort of power stepping if you will. I might be wrong but I recall that because my wifi card wasn't sully supported by Suse, and was in windows, the wifi card could work all it's little magic to achieve the best power to distance to power ratio, which it might not be able able to do under a less wifi friendly linux environment. But then again I could be completely wrong. I tried doing so brief research on the subject and came up with nothing. So if anyone knows the real answer please post it! I am extremely curious about this.