Pc shutsdown after booting

edited June 2008 in Hardware
I recently purchased a new motherboard and 4gb of ram. Once i installed the motherboard and ram, the computer boots up but then between 10 seconds - 1 minute it will turn off. The LED on the motherboad is still lit after the pc turns itself off.

I was thinking it maybe a PSU issue but the psu was fine until i switched motherboards and its a good psu (600w OCZ). I stripped the pc to the bare minimum (1 ram stick, hdd, mobo, psu, cpu, gfx card) but still the problem persists.

It'll be of much appreciation if anyone can help me?

Cheers,
Stu

Comments

• edited June 2008
    Sorry for double post but an update:

Took out mobo battery, let it sit for a while and put it back in, pc turned off np but after when i turned it off at the mains and turned it back on, it keeps shutting itself down. WTF is wrong up? lol

This is all what I've tried:

changed ram
    changed psu
    checked to see if the mobo is shorting
    took mobo battery out, even tried new one.

Help me :D
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited June 2008
    My guess here is that your CPU is overheating. Is the heatsink/fan (HSF) set right on the CPU ... is the fan working?

Try remounting the HSF. Make sure it makes full contact with the CPU surface.

BTW- Welcome to Icrontic :) .
  • edited June 2008
    Cheers for your help.

Yeah i think it is the cpu overheating. I checked the temp and it was running at 73C :O

Me thinks I'll buy a new cpu cooler tomorrow and hope for the best. Sounds like a good idea?

Stu
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited June 2008
    stuman wrote:
    ....I checked the temp and it was running at 73C :O

Me thinks I'll buy a new cpu cooler tomorrow and hope for the best. Sounds like a good idea?

73C is very hot if the CPU is not working hard.

I'm not sure what CPU you have, if you're using the HSF that came with it or if your room is cool or warm, etc. The HSF not seatting properly on the CPU is a likely reason for your overheat but I would check to be sure that this is the case.

Replacing the HSF should be an option, not a necessity- unless it is damaged or defective.

What CPU are you installing and did the HSF come with it? What are you planning to use your system for?