Bluray R/W

edited July 2008 in Hardware
I'm looking at the future, and all I see is bluray. I want a drive for an htpc I'm building, but I would like to know how easy it is to burn bluray for archival copies? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    It's fairly easy, as Nero supports it.

Can you stomach $25 a disc and a $500 drive?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Of course Cam can. Cambrose is a baller. For me, I'm holding out until the cost of Blu-Ray burners comes down. The reader drives aren't bad, and that may be all you need for a HTPC, but if I'm gonna switch to BR, I wanna have full capability.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited July 2008
    cambrose wrote:
    ....but I would like to know how easy it is to burn bluray for archival copies...

Can you say "SLOW" in 10 minutes or more?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2008
    bah ssd is the future of archival for most typical uses.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited July 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    bah ssd is the future of archival for most typical uses.

QFT
  • edited July 2008
    I'd rather a linux option for mythtv usage. I was looking at cost and I will probably wait another ten months and just use dvds for now. The cost isn't efficient for me yet at all.
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited July 2008
    Well if your looking to make HD quality movies (assuming you have a expensive HD camera) or you have home theater setup with your comp I say go for it, But I am assuming you have a nice HDTV to utilize the blu-ray already.

I too am thinking about Blu-ray in my next build since I do have a 42" HDTV it would be sweet.

Also my life has been a bit shallow without WoW no more leeroy jenkins...