Wallpaper won't change?!

edited July 2008 in Hardware
I've run into a rather frustrating problem. I'm running Windows XP home edition and I can't get my desktop wallpaper to change!

I've tried going into display properties but the box where you change the wallpaper to one of the XP defaults is grayed out and the slider won't move. If I try to right-click a picture and hit set as desktop photo nothing happens.

how can I change this!?

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Oh that's a duzy when that happens. Most likely you found yourself some malware. Sometimes a registry change will fix it but most times its more problematic. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but I'm really tired right now.

What it is sometimes is a group policy change, but it's usually a registry change too. It was meant to be deployed in corporate environments to keep clients from changing the wallpaper. But it got abused. Check out this google search for now to see if you can fix it yourself, otherwise I'll be back tomorrow most likely to give you some more help.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    You probably have spyware.

Go here: http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43902
  • edited July 2008
    Went into the registry and deleted the problematic options, thank you for all yur help ^.^
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    No problem. Glad to help. This happened to my dad's computer at work so I pretty much knew what was going on. First time it happened it took me a little bit to figure out what happened.