TF2: Bobbys Mapping Adventure Log. Wanna Beta?

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited August 2008 in Team Fortress 2
I hope I am not over stepping my bounds by posting/asking this here.

I need a group to beta test my map. I can run around all day by myself finding my mistakes but to test game play I need outside opinions. I would love to host a server for a couple hours but I'm not sure my DSL will hold up. It does alright for 1 person along with me on the LAN, me thinks it would be better on the Icrontic server. :D

I was thinking about planning Friday the 11th starting at 6pm PST (9pm Icrontic time?) or if there is a better time? That is flexible.

Things I still need to do:

Before Beta:

-Finish up a bit of the layout

-Optimize, Optimize, Optimize, and then continue to optimize. This includes func_detailing and vis optimization.

-Research if I can turn allspeak on in the map so we can discuss and hear everyones reactions during play.

-Once time/date is set in stone I will post this info on other tf2 mappers sites for more exposure.

When I can:

-Sounds and Soundscapes. Keeping certain sounds in/out of certain rooms.

-Lighting, currently default lighting, it works but causes some odd shadows.

-Lots of Detail

-3D Skybox

-Research and eliminate error "Can't load skybox file to build the default cubemap!"

-In game Cameras (Thats show ths points when you are dead :tongue:)

Map Information:

Name: cp_KewNet

This is a 4 point map. The goal is for the blue team to capture all 4 points in order while the red team attempts to stop this from happening.

Start time: 10:00 with each capped point adding 3:00

Setup time: 60 seconds

Layout: Based on a building I used to work in for a company called QNet. Point A is on the first floor, B on the second, C on the third and the final point is on top of the Red Spawn (To the side of the building).

Blue starts with two exits to the map (after setup of course) unlocking a 3rd upon capping point A.

I still have 2 major things to do. There is a courtyard in the middle of the building that turned out way bigger then I expected. I need to think of a creative idea to possibly cut this in half or the map will be slow due to vis. And currently there is access to the roof. I might cut the open areas on the roof and just make these routes that go above the 3rd floor. I just had a sweet idea while I was typing this that may help both of those.

I am learning as I go but that doesn't mean this is a noob map. Maybe I am giving myself to much credit, maybe you guys will hate it. I dunno.

As soon as I can optimize and get the file size respectable I will be hosting the map for download so you can check it out before live play if you want.

So yeah, thoughts? Offers? Reservations?

Thanks for listening to my mindless ramblings,

-Bobby

Comments

• Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Ill help ya out, m8 Ive got a bit of experince beta testing various source mods and have some experience in hammer, so ill be glad to help out. My steamID is blew my sig.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I'd love to help. You have my blessing to try it on the IC server, but I can't be there that night because of a wedding :-/

Best of luck, though!
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Success! The blessing from the IC God! Time/date is flexible. The 11th is assuming I can do all the "Before Beta" list before then.

Plus if you are interested, Prime Time is a very good and acceptable reason to postpone release.

-Bobby
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    IC God.....

;D;D;D

im still lol irl...

lemme know when u got it ready and i'll help out.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I'll help but I'll probably forget. Somebody IM from within Steam when the gaming/testing starts.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Bobby1211 wrote:
    Layout: Based on a building I used to work in for a company called QNet. Point A is on the first floor, B on the second, C on the third and the final point is on top of the Red Spawn (To the side of the building).

I've actually had the same idea for a map. Got started with it then got bored/distracted by life. I'm sure yours is much better than mine was/is.

I'd be glad to help test it out. Always interesting to see what people can dream up and then create.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I'll help out. Sounds like a good map. Can't wait to try it out.
    edited July 2008
    Well life happens and I am now buying a house. Therefore TF2 is on a back burner. I still hope to polish up what I have and host it for download tonight. It is not optimized so the compiled map is about 14mb. If it wouldn't cause issues I'll still try to get it on the server tonight, would just have to have everyone that wants in DL the map via HTTP then join the server so they don't have to wait for the server to DL it.

Who should I be in contact with about putting it on the Icrontic server?

Thanks for all the kind words also guys.

-Bobby
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Bobby1211 wrote:
    Well life happens and I am now buying a house. Therefore TF2 is on a back burner. I still hope to polish up what I have and host it for download tonight. It is not optimized so the compiled map is about 14mb. If it wouldn't cause issues I'll still try to get it on the server tonight, would just have to have everyone that wants in DL the map via HTTP then join the server so they don't have to wait for the server to DL it.

Who should I be in contact with about putting it on the Icrontic server?

Thanks for all the kind words also guys.

-Bobby

hey whats up lets go
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Move it guys this is very important!
    edited July 2008
    I am sorry guys, I failed. I had a coworker ask me to help install some software. Had an opportunity to make some cash and had to take it.

As of now this project is on Valve Time. Thank you and have a great day.

-Bobby
    edited July 2008
    OMG Family free time. I will have a alone time from 4pm on tonight. I am going to focus on getting CP_KewNet in playable condition and post it for you guys to take a look.

*Edit to note a few things*
    By default voice chat can only be heard by your own team, but can be heard by all players on servers with sv_alltalk set to "1"

Layout is set for Beta, Will be changed during beta if needed.

/edit

-Bobby
    edited July 2008
    Alrighty,

You can download beta0001 Here

Unzip it to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\[steamID]\team fortress 2\tf\maps

Message me on Steam so I can make sure to hop on with you.

And connect to my server on 209.221.209.10:27015

-Bobby
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    OK, I checked it out. First impressions:
    1. There's something up with the reflections. Sink fixtures and water are freezing and purple, as well as have artifacts.
    2. This map seems to be extremely large but with many many small rooms. Way too many rooms. It took me nearly 15 minutes just to capture all 4 points because I had no idea where to go.
    3. There are some rooms where everything is one texture. It's like the etire room: floor, ceiling and stairs are camoflage.
    4. If you're going to pre-place sentries as some kind of anti-spawn-camping measure, make sure there are no places where they can be destroyed. I was alble to pick off the red sentries easily with an engineer pistol.
    5. what is ip with the 2 sentires killing each other at the start? cool, but freaked me out every time.
    6. a couple more signs to tell where I was going would be good.
    7. Maybe think about why you're making a room and furnish it accordingly. If you don't need it, don't bother making the room...adding a water cooler doesn't help ;)

Other than that, some good ideas, but I can't see playin on this map with any strategy... way too many ways to capture the CP's, I don't think it's defensible.
    edited July 2008
    OK, I checked it out. First impressions:
    1. There's something up with the reflections. Sink fixtures and water are freezing and purple, as well as have artifacts.
    2. This map seems to be extremely large but with many many small rooms. Way too many rooms. It took me nearly 15 minutes just to capture all 4 points because I had no idea where to go.
    3. There are some rooms where everything is one texture. It's like the etire room: floor, ceiling and stairs are camoflage.
    4. If you're going to pre-place sentries as some kind of anti-spawn-camping measure, make sure there are no places where they can be destroyed. I was alble to pick off the red sentries easily with an engineer pistol.
    5. what is ip with the 2 sentires killing each other at the start? cool, but freaked me out every time.
    6. a couple more signs to tell where I was going would be good.
    7. Maybe think about why you're making a room and furnish it accordingly. If you don't need it, don't bother making the room...adding a water cooler doesn't help ;)

Other than that, some good ideas, but I can't see playin on this map with any strategy... way too many ways to capture the CP's, I don't think it's defensible.

Thank you t_t!
    1. The reflections are my lack of cube_maps. Something I thought I might get away with for beta but might cause more trouble then I thought.
    2. It did end up a lot larger then I would have liked. I have to find some places to cut it down. I think I need to cut out the center courtyard areas altogether. That will allow me to make the map more linear and control how many ways a player can get to a point.
    3. Yeah I haven't done a lot of texturing, just some to try some things out.
    4. The blue sentrys main purpose is anti-spawn camp. The red ones are simply to help defend the last point. They are upgradeable and destructible. I am not so sure in a live game they would be so easy to pick off. The red team has the choice to take time and upgrade them if they want.
    5. Blue spawn is boring during setup. Once I can control the sound it wont be so jarring. Anyone happen to know how to confine sounds to an area?
    6. More signs, got it
    7. LOL, yeah I was playing around with the desk and tables there. I do want the space to be there, just need to theme them a bit.
    Thank you again sir all of your thoughts will be absorbed and attended to in the next build. I appreciate you taking the time to help out.

-Bobby
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Here's a few more details I noted:

1. At the exit from the blue spawn that looks like a sewer (where the little bridge falls down) there is no texture defined on the floor under the little bridge.
    2. There is a room that looks like it has some monitoring equipment, a large format printer and some pipes. The entrace to that room from above is hard to see because ofthe angle of the door and the way the textures line up.
    3. In the 'fishbowl' area (where you can see in and out of all the levels of the building) the glass doesn't all seem to stay the same color if I start shooting at the side of the building.
    4. The floating CP flag things shouldn't have shadows. Holographic projections don't cast shadows.
    5. The sinks in the washroom are as tall as a man.

Other than that, I mostly noticed the same stuff that TT did. Too much use of the same textures is a big thing. IT makes it too hard to always tel where I can go,because it makes doors and ledges blend into the walls and floors. Also, once one knows the level, one should always be able to tell just where they are in the level, just by looking around and recognizing the textures and landmarks of an area.

Also remember that every area has to have a purpose. Look at each area and think "why is this area important to the level?" and just being another place to randomly meet and fight enemies is not enough.

It's a neat level with a lot of cool design ideas, but I think it's too hard to navigate. I would recommend keeping all of the areas in the design (so that it retains that 'big industrial building' feel, but to 'board-off' several of the sections that are strategically superfluous, and put up some nice, big signs.
    edited July 2008
    CB wrote:
    Here's a few more details I noted:

1. At the exit from the blue spawn that looks like a sewer (where the little bridge falls down) there is no texture defined on the floor under the little bridge.
    2. There is a room that looks like it has some monitoring equipment, a large format printer and some pipes. The entrace to that room from above is hard to see because ofthe angle of the door and the way the textures line up.
    3. In the 'fishbowl' area (where you can see in and out of all the levels of the building) the glass doesn't all seem to stay the same color if I start shooting at the side of the building.
    4. The floating CP flag things shouldn't have shadows. Holographic projections don't cast shadows.
    5. The sinks in the washroom are as tall as a man.

Other than that, I mostly noticed the same stuff that TT did. Too much use of the same textures is a big thing. IT makes it too hard to always tel where I can go,because it makes doors and ledges blend into the walls and floors. Also, once one knows the level, one should always be able to tell just where they are in the level, just by looking around and recognizing the textures and landmarks of an area.

Also remember that every area has to have a purpose. Look at each area and think "why is this area important to the level?" and just being another place to randomly meet and fight enemies is not enough.

It's a neat level with a lot of cool design ideas, but I think it's too hard to navigate. I would recommend keeping all of the areas in the design (so that it retains that 'big industrial building' feel, but to 'board-off' several of the sections that are strategically superfluous, and put up some nice, big signs.

Thank you CB, some excellent input.
    1. That's water, it doesn't have a cubemap yet. Its the same thing that causes all the reflections to be purple checkerboards. I'll make the water cheap in the next build so it doesn't reflect.
    2. noted: Must get better with textures
    3. I noticed this also. I don't know what causes it. But as soon as I come up with something, the glass will be gone. It's going to be a pain during optimization if I leave it.
    4. Good Call, no shadows.
    5. I'll have to check out the sinks.

It's good to have some feedback now so I have some things to work on. I got to a point with the map that I just couldn't think of where to go next. Now I have some specific directions. :D

My server is down for the day as my computer is at work with me. But you can still download the map and check it out!... Or you know, if someone wants to throw it on the Icrontic server for some multi player testing ;)

-Bobby
    edited August 2008
    Ok, so I learned a lot on that map, enough to know I was wasting my time trying to fix it.

Started a new Map and found a more appropriate place to post it: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=3215

Story: It is a dark night, Blu has a plan. A plan to take over the underworld of New York. The great battles of the war have destroyed everything above ground. The only habitable areas are the abandoned subway stations. Blu has gained access to the western most station. They know it will not be an easy task destroying the Red base to take over the underworld. The Red base is Eastern Station and Red is aware of Blus' plans (Spy got in on a meeting). Blus' task at hand, Start at Western Station, move the train, bomb loaded, across town to destroy Easter Station, take over the underground for a better life. Red, simply defend, as is life in the underworld.

Working Name: pl_SubStation

-Bobby
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Alpha Tester PN Dan gives the Tumbs Up to this map. Fun. I can't wait to try with at least 5 per team.

I can host d00d.

Ya I typed d00d!