Sound Card

_k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
edited July 2008 in Hardware
http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-plosion_cinema.php I just found this card at the CompUSA across the street from my work. It looks like a good card and I just started doing some reading on it and it seems fairly decent. I am trying to not buy another Creative sound card just because but the main thing I am looking for is an optical port. Thoughts, suggestions, has anyone ever used this card before.

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829156001

never had alot of experience with that brand but here is a link to it on newegg, Check out some customer reviews, I personally like M-Audia but Heck whatdo i know i still run a audigy 2 ! But i do know one thing the razor card BLOWS
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    The X-Plosion is a great card. I owned one for a while. It's not fabulous in games, as it's not designed for it, however. It just doesn't have anything better than EAX2.0; but the quality is fantastic.

Auzentech is a great company.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    AMAZING! (on my klipsch)

Just please don't get a killer soundcard and have it drive crappy speakers. That is such an injustice.
    edited July 2008
    I strongly recommend the Asus Sonar DX. What a fantastic ****ing soundcard. Probably one of the best on the market, and arguably better than the X-Fi.
    edited July 2008
    I've heard good things about the xonar too. I found a review when I was choosing sound cards and for me it came down to some of the other cars had better support for gaming surround (which I don't need) and others had more beefed up audio circuits, which I like because I use my computer mostly for music and I wanted something with a good clean signal path.

The only thing I dislike about the xonar is its price. But you get what you pay for I guess. It'll do the games and the other stuff and sound just fine at it all. I would encourage you to listen to the soundcards though. They do have different sounds. Some cards are more 'sterile' sounding and others have a bit of warmth to them. It depends on what tone you favor.

The X-Fi is a heaping pile of ****. I'd take integrated over it.
    edited July 2008
    The Xonar DX is $100, and supports the newest versions of EAX.

The reviews you read were old.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I agree the XF-i Is a POS, I did some researching after thrax posted about the Asus and he is right it seems to be the clear winner. Id get one but honestly what more do i need than my old audigy2 when all i use is headphones
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Yeah I know the Asus cards are pretty much it outside of commercial. I just have this thing about online buying. That looks like about the best I can get locally and I was looking for some personal experience....fyi I like my x-fi card and I don't use cheap speakers. I was thinking some G51 speakers from logitech, I have x-530 and love them, thoughts on those. the x-530 gets good customer reviews the G51 not as good. I have heard a few different sets of logitech and creative speaker sets at work and just heard a better overall quality in the Logis.
    edited July 2008
    I'm a bit of an audio snob, so I'm not a huge fan of logitech speakers. They aren't bad, they just cut some corners to get 'louder'

But anyway, I'll be a shill again for the Ht omega striker. Just because I own it myself and can attest to its quality. And there are more to audio components to numbers. Hell, the X-Fi looks good on paper and sounds like **** in the real world.

Brands I like are:
    HT Omega
    Auzentech
    Asus (though I haven't heard it personally)

Though, I only have 2.1 because I feel that anything more ruins good music. So I don't use any of the fancy dancy crap on the sound card. I have all the dsp's turned off aside from the parametric eq.