No reponse from monitor keyboard or mouse

Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
edited July 2008 in Hardware
Please help....usually I am writing to get help with other peoples PC's but this time I'm desperate cos it's my own!!! Can't believe this has happened. I swithced my PC on today and the monitor was acting as though it wasn't plugged in. I figured it was just a bad connection ( I use a KVM switch so that I can plug other PC's in to work on them) so I checked all the connectors to and from the kvm switch. Then powered everything down and back up again. Same thing so I plugged the monitor, keyboard and mouse directly into the PC..........

No reaction from monitor and no reaction from keyboard. LED lights on my temp display screen and all other lights come on, HDD starts up, fans start up, DVD ROM flashes and floppy drive flashes.

I have swapped over the PSU just in case that was the problem but no......I hope this isn't the CPU or the graphics card....what is the likely problem / solution?

Other PC's boot up just fine so it can't be the monitor, the keyboard or the mouse.....please help.

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    any beeps or signals from the mobo?
    If nothing then you are SoL.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2008
    I'd suggest you open the case, remove your video card and plug it back in. Could have gotten slightly unseated when you were moving cables around. It only has to be out a fraction of an inch to cause that kind of problem.
  • Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
    edited July 2008
    I have reseated the card a few times as I thought it might have been a video card problem initially but that didn't fix......what is SoL?
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited July 2008
    Did you reseat the RAM as well?

Also try to unplug any cards, drives, etc that aren't necessary. Basically try to boot with just your cpu, video, ram, and hd
    edited July 2008
    Have tried swapping out the ram and reseating the original stuff as well, that doesn't seem to be the problem. Also, as advised I have stripped the system back to basics only......video card, HDD, PSU and Ram.....mouse and keyboard are on board PS2.......

Some extra info......I can only power down by switching off the PSU on the back of the PC or by holding down the power button. Reset button doesn't respond. Also, the CPU fan doesn't start up right away. it spins then stops, spins then stops and continues to do this for a couple of minutes. Then it starts to spin properly??!!

I am so desparate now, this is the worst!!! :sad2:
    edited July 2008
    I just realised that I didn't have the mobo speaker attached to give me the warning codes (I unplugged it ages ago as it used to wake my daughter in the room next door whenever I started up the PC). I plugged it in and I am getting continuos short beeps. My mobo guide says continuous long beeps = graphics card and continuous short beeps = power issue. I don't know what they consider long or short so it could be either of these things. If I had to guess i reckon they are short beeps, which brings us to power issues. I have swapped out the PSU already so it can't be that, so does this mean something has fried?
    edited July 2008
    AAAAARGH!!!!! I just unplugged the ATX connection and replugged it. Now no beeps at all!!!! (Not even the one good beep)........and the problem persists with no monitor reponse.....fan is running no problem!!!! Thanks for any help I relly appreciate it........I think I'll have to test the graphics card in another PC or a different graphics card in this one, if it's not that it has to be the CPU or mobo I assume??!!

If the CPU is dead will the pc still boot into BIOS or is this the scenario you would encounter???:confused:
    edited July 2008
    Woohoo I have worked it out!!!! I spoke with my Dad who metioned he had a similar problem once because of a hibernation issue. I then recalled that I switched the PC off whilst it was hibernating. That's when the problem started but I had thought nothing of that......
    I went and reset the CMOS by removing the CMOS battery and then replacing it 5 minutes later and hey presto it works....IT WORKS!!!! Yeeeeeeah.....thanks again for everyones advice, I REALLY appreciate it......
    Cheers...:D