Problem after power failure.

edited July 2008 in Hardware
Hi All, I hope someone can help me.

There was a power failure this morning and when I went to turn my computer back on it does the following:

1. Goes through the regular post
2. Windows XP Pro splash screen
3. Blue screen: " A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to protect your computer. …"
4. Reboots right away (I don't have to do anything)
5. then it boots to the options for safe mode etc...

I can't get into safe mode, last known or start windows regularly.

So I booted with the XP cd and went to the recovery counsel and tried CHKDSK / r but it gives me the following:

"The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems"

What can I do to get the computer to work again without reformating and loosing my data?

250gb Western Digital Caviar SE16 SATA

Thank you

Comments

• edited July 2008
    Hello, drtao

few questions

-Did you wire a surge protector to the computer?

-Did you smell anything, like smoke?

-How long doe it take until the computer reboots?

I had the same problem a while ago (October 2007), power failure,
    and then the computer goes haywire..

right now, i fear that your computer may have a hardware failure, or fried component.

at least, that was my case: motherboard, cpu and power supply fried
    got a new computer on black friday at november :rolleyes2

now hopefully, your data is safe, (or your hard drive was untouched); from experience, my data didn't fry.

but anything that you were working on at that moment may be lost or recovered.

hope this is any help to you and good luck.
  • edited July 2008
    To really make sure if it's just corrupt data or hardware failure you can boot up with a live-CD.
    This is usually a Linux OS that can boot up without installing anything.
    If you can boot up with it, you should be able to locate you files on your hard drive and hopefully back them up on either a CD, USB or second hard drive.

Of course if you don't have a live-CD then you can either download and burn one or get one shipped home to you for free via Ubuntu's Homepage.

If you can't burn one and can't wait six weeks for one to arrive at your home,
    then I would suggest you to either get the OS on a USB or install it on a second hard drive.

If none of these options are able to be completed then you should take you hard drive to a second computer and try it there.
    And if you can backup your data then you can safely reformat you hard drive.
    This will of course only work if your the data isn't corrupt so hopefully you'll be able to retrieve your data and hopefully nothing is serious wrong with your computer.

Good luck.