PSU overloaded?

edited July 2008 in Hardware
I suspect my psu for being overloaded, but I don't really want to buy a new one if it won't help anyway..

When I am playing a game, which require some cpu/gpu load, my computer shuts down after awhile. First I thought it might be the gpu, but I have tried to increase the fan so the temperatur was steady.
I'm not completely sure about how hot the cpu gets.
But when the computer shuts down (not reboot) the psu is very warm and it smells bad (like grilled electronic).

My pc:
AsRock ALIVEN570SLI-ESATA2 AM2
AMD Athlon 64 x2 AM2 6400+ box
2 x 2gb ram
2 x 1gb ram
3 x Samsung Spinpoint F1 500GB 16MB SATA2 7200RPM
2 fans in the cabinet (should be 120mm)
Club 3D Radeon PCI-E HD3870x2 Dual Card 1024M (not crossfire)
Asus WL-138g Wireless PCI card
Running on Vista 64-bit

PSU: LC-Power Super Silent 550w 120mm

Hope someone can help me

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    How many optical drives do you have in there? What case are you using?

With 3 HDDs running, you're not only generating a lot of heat, but you're also using a lot of power. I'm not sure how reliable that PSU is, but here are a few things to try:

Using a motherboard monitor type program, record the voltages produced by your PSU while the PC is running in Windows. If the voltages look good (you can post them here if you're not sure) then I'd recommend test-running your PC with a single hard drive and a single optical drive connected to reduce power load.
  • edited July 2008
    1 sony NEC AD-7200S SATA black bulk

NZXT Hush Silent Computer gaming black (-psu)

Do you have a link for a motherboard monitor program?

Edit: but I can say it was a pretty cheap psu, thought about buying a corsair 750w
  • edited July 2008
    Yeah, I can tell you right off that the psu is most probably the problem. Those LC Power psu's are Deer-built pieces of junk and can't take near their rated load. And that burnt electronics smell from it is telling you that it's about to blow out and most probably take other components with it. A quality 550 watt psu should do you good, but not a cheap one like that LC Power. I would recommend a Corsair 550VX for a replacement. It is rated at 550 watts at 50 C, is built with quality Japanese capacitors and has a 5 year warrantee. You should be able to find them for $100 or less. Hell, I got it's slightly bigger brother last month from Newegg for $100. I personally own a Corsair 450VX, the 550VX, the TX650 and the 620HX and all 4 are great psu's.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2008
    Yep, mudd hit the nail on the head. That PSU is not well suited to your configuration. I have personally used the TX750 and VX550 from Corsair and they are fantastic PSUs. The VX550 would work just fine for you. Your CPU is a 125W TDP model and the 3870X2 graphics card is pretty power hungry as well. Definitely swap out your PSU before you toast everything in your system.